Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Daytona hardtop production order oddities. A leased car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Daytona hardtop production order oddities. A leased car?

I received some production orders from the Studebaker museum today. Two for a pair of 1964 Daytona hardtops and one for a 2R16A firetruck. As for one of the Daytona production orders, it appears a bit unusual to me.

The destination says 'MINNEAPOLIS LEASE' with a symbol between the two words that I can't identify.
    As stated near the bottom of the copy, the destination changed and various items/accessories were added.
    In looking closely at the order, I see faint blue type/text (transferred from carbon paper?) spelling out 'INDIANA' under the word 'LEASE' within the destination category.

Furthermore, the final assembly was 11-13-63 but the order/written date was not until 3-6-64.
    Also, the ship via category says LOT 151 and there appears to be (or had been) a staple through the copy in the INST. BOOK category.

What does all of this mean?
    Was it a Studebaker-company owned car that later had extra accessories added and then sold in Minneapolis?

Very rusty car. I intend to transplant the engine, transmission and interior into a rust-free 1963 Daytona hardtop that I purchased some years ago from Merv Mundorf.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

The copy you have was prepared (as you note) on 3/6/64, presumably to order the added accessories prior to leasing the car. There would have been an earlier version (prior to 11/6/64) that was created to order the car to be built in the first place. Most of it will be the same, but it might have some info on the original destination, or whether it was built for stock.

Lot 151 was the storage lot at the factory where unsold car were stored.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      The copy you have was prepared (as you note) on 3/6/64, presumably to order the added accessories prior to leasing the car. There would have been an earlier version (prior to 11/6/64) that was created to order the car to be built in the first place. Most of it will be the same, but it might have some info on the original destination, or whether it was built for stock.

Lot 151 was the storage lot at the factory where unsold car were stored.
      Skip, to the best of my knowledge, Lot 151 was the destination for cars that were built to no order; i.e, just to keep the lines running. Purgatory, in Biblical terms.

When the PO for this car was re-written, Minneapolis ? Lease was added and somebody just left Lot 151 on there.

Note that it was originally built without air conditioning or bumper guards or an outside rear view mirror or front seat belts. Those were added during the reconfiguration.

Now look at this even closer, if your monitor is really good (and mine is): The staple probably held the reconfigured order to the original: If you look carefully, you can see that the car's original production order, in the more common font used on them during regular late 1963 production, is underneath the revised copy we see!

So what that means is that the original destination was South Bend Indiana, with Lot 151 on the second line. The words Minneapolis and Lease prevent us from seeing the faint bluish words SOUTH BEND, which I am certain is under them. (Note how the lines of the original PO underneath align with the revision, but are moved around a little bit because accessories were added to the revision.)

Interesting, for sure. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Maybe it was for someone at Franklin.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Maybe it was for someone at Franklin. Craig
          Craig: Is your monitor such that you can see the "ghost" of the earlier PO underneath the one displayed? It's there! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Craig: Is your monitor such that you can see the "ghost" of the earlier PO underneath the one displayed? It's there! BP
            Bob, I see the last half of 'Indiana' after the word 'Lease' in the Destination box.

Craig

Comment

Skip, to the best of my knowledge, Lot 151 was the destination for cars that were built to no order; i.e, just to keep the lines running. Purgatory, in Biblical terms.

When the PO for this car was re-written, Minneapolis ? Lease was added and somebody just left Lot 151 on there.

Note that it was originally built without air conditioning or bumper guards or an outside rear view mirror or front seat belts. Those were added during the reconfiguration.

Now look at this even closer, if your monitor is really good (and mine is): The staple probably held the reconfigured order to the original: If you look carefully, you can see that the car's original production order, in the more common font used on them during regular late 1963 production, is underneath the revised copy we see!

So what that means is that the original destination was South Bend Indiana, with Lot 151 on the second line. The words Minneapolis and Lease prevent us from seeing the faint bluish words SOUTH BEND, which I am certain is under them. (Note how the lines of the original PO underneath align with the revision, but are moved around a little bit because accessories were added to the revision.)

Interesting, for sure. BP
              No disagreement with your points -- I now can see the ghost of the original PO underneath. In my response above, I should have specified storage lotS where unsold cars were stored. The original PO for my 64 Daytona says ""sold -- rush" but the later one changed that line to Lot 151 when the order was cancelled. So I knew what the term meant, but also thought it also referred to those big storage lots that the company maintained around the plant.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                Maybe it was for someone at Franklin.

Craig
                I purchased this car in the summer of 1990 at a small farm just outside of St. Cloud, MN from the family of the deceased owner. I don't recall for sure but I think the deceased owner purchased it new and it is possible that he worked at Franklin (which is located in St. Cloud and is one of the larger employers in the area).
                I paid $500 for the car, drove it home and then my dad and I went to the son's home and towed back a 1964 Cruiser parts car that came with the deal. The Daytona became my daily driver for a short time and the Cruiser gave up its engine, transmission and rear differential for a 1963 Champ project. Good times.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If there were two production orders for the car, I wonder why the museum would've only sent the top one?
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                    If there were two production orders for the car, I wonder why the museum would've only sent the top one?
                    Because that's the way the car was ultimately built and shipped from South Bend, Bill.

If someone was to accurately restore the car as shipped by Studebaker, they would only need the more recent production order. To also send the earlier one would only confuse things...not that it wouldn't have been a good idea from a historic standpoint, given the realities.

Nonetheless, I don't blame them for sending only the one.

(Too, the secretarial types handling those requests don't have the interest in this minutia like we do , so they'll just send the most recent piece.) BP

Comment

Because that's the way the car was ultimately built and shipped from South Bend, Bill.

If someone was to accurately restore the car as shipped by Studebaker, they would only need the more recent production order. To also send the earlier one would only confuse things...not that it wouldn't have been a good idea from a historic standpoint, given the realities.

Nonetheless, I don't blame them for sending only the one.

(Too, the secretarial types handling those requests don't have the interest in this minutia like we do , so they'll just send the most recent piece.) BP
                      I guess Bob, but I'd want both and I'd hope the current owner wouldn't be charged another complete fee for the second page. My guess is probably not though.
                      Last edited by Bill Pressler; 03-21-2016, 02:01 AM.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                      X