1937 Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 Studebaker

Hi, I'm new here. I know absolutely nothing about Studebakers. I saw this car a 1937 Studebaker near my home for sale. The car has 40,000 original miles on it. It has the orignial bill of sale for, if I recall correctly, a little more than $800. I found a little rust at the bottom of the doors and it looks like it might have been welded. The interior is original, along with everything else as far as I can tell.

It starts and runs great. The current owner, is the son in law of the second owner that recently passed away. There are blinkers that have been installed. The owner built or bought a clamp mechanism that he used to attach the blinkers, so no holes were drilled.

The guy is asking $29K. He said there were some bushings on the front end that need to be replaced. It's looks pretty clean, but what do I know?

Any ideas of how I can more accurately gauge the value of this vehicle?

Is it pretty easy to get parts for this, or do you guys make, beg, borrow steal etc.

Also, what model is this?

Attached Files

Neat car. For the record that is a Dictator Six coupe. The companion car was the President and was the Eight. They were prone to rust in the trunk floor so check there if you haven't. Price is about double the actual value....but who am I to say? Unfortunately street rodders love them and they tend to pay a lot more.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I think I can address the parts availability question. Parts are available through many Studebaker vendors. Prices for mechanical parts are quite reasonable. Prices for trim and the like are higher but compared to other makes are fair. There is also this forum which is a wealth of information about Studebakers. You won't find a more helpful and knowledgeable group.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

1937 is a popular pre-war model year.
        Aside from the mighty Presidents, this body style is second in demand only to the Coupe-Expre$$ truck.

I still kick myself for passing on a nice 1937 President Coupe about 20 years ago.
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

Fred Gooch in Tucson has a coupe like that and has owned it for around 20 years. I don't know if he is on the forum but I do know he is in the Roster. He does drive the car just about everywhere.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ
          Home of Lazarus and Meshach

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
            Fred Gooch in Tucson has a coupe like that and has owned it for around 20 years. I don't know if he is on the forum but I do know he is in the Roster. He does drive the car just about everywhere.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ
            Home of Lazarus and Meshach
            Fred does not do computers.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Andy R,

Just wondering about the President coupe that you passed on. What color was it and where was it at that time?

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Allen. That's a neat little car; I hope you are able to buy it. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                X