Can-O-Worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can-O-Worms

I have been wanting to replace the trunk pan on my GT from day one but the cash needed to pay someone to do the job always seems to go to higher priority needs. Then a few days ago the Harbor Freight catalog shows up with a 170 amp mig welder on sale for $169.95 and I start thinking that there's no reason that I can't do the job myself. Now I have never welding a thing in my life but I work in a shop with a bunch of guys that weld all day long to get tips from and we have all the equipment right there to practice with so why not.

So, then I get to thinking, well I got to put the GT up on jack stands and drop the gas tank so I might as well get that cleaned and lined while I'm at it. And when I cut the pan out I'll have lots of room to get at the leaf springs, which are shot anyway, so I might as well get them re sprung. With all that room to work with the springs, gas tank and trunk pan all out of the way its only logical to go ahead and replace all the bushings and add the rear sway bar for good measure. All of this doesn't even take into account the hidden stuff I'm bound to find once I get started. Once she's up on the stands there's no point in letter her down again until all the work is done so I guess she'll be off the road for most of the summer and into the fall. All of that from one Harbor Freight catalog.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

It's a shame You can't enjoy this Summer/Fall driving. then put it up for a Winter Job
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Heck, might as well pull the body off the frame while you're there and, while it's easy to get at the motor and trans, might as well rebuild all that too, and then there's......... That's what happened to me, anyway. Beware of creeping restoration elegance..!

Comment

While you can still drive the car, be sure to power wash the underside thoroughly. Lying on the creeper with grit falling in your eyes as you try to work on the underside of the car is no fun. Ask me sometime how I know this. Try to do all the welding from the top side 'cause hot metal droplets down your sleeve from trying to weld overhead is even less fun.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Regarding cleaning the gas tank, if it isn't giving you problems, I'd leave it alone. But if you do have a cleaned, (local radiator shops can do that), I would opt out of "lining" it. I've seen way to may complications from such and that includes the pros like RENU..

Comment

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have bought a Harbor Freight Welder Mig.....
            it'll last just about thru the trunk pan job you have and then become increasingly more difficult to use...
            The transformer is ok, but the wire feed goes to pot...
            It's not the the feed device or the rollers, however I've adjusted my rollers as tight as I can.
            I believe it's the tube inside the "hose" that goes to the welding handle. And yes, I've replaced the tips.

Hope you have better luck than me....

Comment

I've run into quality issues with Harbour Freight tools myself. I always get the maintenance contract. They've replaced an item sometimes four or five times before I finally get a decent one. No hassles, no whining, they just replace it. Just remember to get a new contract with the replacement.
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If you have buddies at work that weld, why not entice one of them to weld the trunk for you. They probably have much better equipment then a flux wire feed from HF. I hate the flux wire. Always chipping the slag and the cost of the wire.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                  If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have bought a Harbor Freight Welder Mig.....
                  it'll last just about thru the trunk pan job you have and then become increasingly more difficult to use...
                  The transformer is ok, but the wire feed goes to pot...
                  It's not the the feed device or the rollers, however I've adjusted my rollers as tight as I can.
                  I believe it's the tube inside the "hose" that goes to the welding handle. And yes, I've replaced the tips.

Hope you have better luck than me....
                  When it comes down to welding gear, the saying, "You get what you pay for," takes on a new meaning. MIG welders for sheet metal are of "short arc" technology in that the process must be interrupted consistently to eliminate burn throughs and maintain puddle flow. They are low penetration and precision machines. The term "precision" often is not applicable to Chinese imports as is "cheap."

Better to find a good used American brand as most of these were built like tanks seldom having issues...

Comment

I had a cheap mg from harbor freight for years. It was ok, but I always had problems making decent welds. I figured it was the fact that I don't weld often. About 2 years ago I bought a Lincoln 210 power mig welder. I found out that I was a better welder than I thought......

Buy a good welder, or find a friend who has one that you can rent/borrow.
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

drive your hawk

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                      I had a cheap mg from harbor freight for years. It was ok, but I always had problems making decent welds. I figured it was the fact that I don't weld often. About 2 years ago I bought a Lincoln 210 power mig welder. I found out that I was a better welder than I thought......

Buy a good welder, or find a friend who has one that you can rent/borrow.
                      I have to agree with 63-tcab about a winter lay-up . I saw your Hawk at York last Friday an took a couple pics of it and it is really a nice car . I would be driving her all over the place this summer spreading the Studebaker love . You have a really nice car,love the 4 speed .
                      NEIL G.

Comment

I agree with Neil. Just drive it. Unless the rear corner supports are totally gone, that trunk can wait for many years. Just insure there is sufficient clearance between the floor and gas tank, so the floor does not rest on the gas tank. If that is the case, you can simply shim the mounts and drop the tank 1/2" or so. Then, put some kind of reinforcement in the floor, to spread the PSI of any load you carry. You can also lay a 1/4" of fiberglass in the floor, and get another 10 years out of it.

Just my two cents, but it really depends on priorities. I place a high priority on just driving them. Don't need a show car. Your priorities may be different.

Comment

I totally agree with #5 and #6 and the rest of the replies. If you can't afford a new name brand welder, then look for a good buy on a used one.

Right now I'm stripping the liner out of my gas tank that someone did when they restored the car. It was coming off and plugging up the fuel line. I would never line a tank.

Comment

Thanks for all the good replies. I know that HF welders and not the best but I have seen good welds done with them. That, I'm sure is due the the skill of the person doing the welding. I consider the HF welder to be a throw away item and replacing the trunk pan was the only job that I wanted to do. I would probably put it on CL when I'm done to try to get a couple of bucks back. A guy at work has a little Miller 110 volt for sale for a $100 bucks but I don't know if that would weld deep enough. Thanks Neil for the kind words. I wish I could have talked to you while I was there. Please post the pictures that you took. My GT is a nice 10 footer but really needs some help with the front and rear suspension. The rear passenger side sits about an inch and a half lower than the drivers side and all the bushings, front and rear, need to be replaced. With the trunk pan replaced the underside would than be pretty solid and would make me feel much better. As it is now its always in the back of my mind. It might not take me all summer depending on how much other stuff I decided to do at the same time but the springs are a must and with the gas tank and trunk pan out of the way it would be the perfect time.
                            I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

You aint gonna be a good enough welder to weld in that trunk pan in years. I can weld well but get the shakes and on that thin stuff the shakes does not cut it. I bought a Hobart 180 and when I need thin stuff welded call my nephew and the welds look so perty......The replacement left front fender for the 54 wagon is sitting in my shop with replacement metal all bent to fit waiting for my nephews perty welds inside an out right now. Once you start welding with wire you will like using it so you might as well get a good welder. Ask your workmates if one of them will weld it once you get it all set up. Does your shop have days when you can work on your own stuff? If so you could have the car prepped sitting on your trailer for a quick after work weld job.
                              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                              61 V8 Tcab
                              63 Tcab 20R powered
                              55 Commander Wagon
                              54 Champion Wagon
                              46 Gibson Model A
                              50 JD MC
                              45 Agricat
                              67 Triumph T100
                              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment