Beware of companies ripping off sdc copyrights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of companies ripping off sdc copyrights

It has been brought to my attention that a company (http://www.zazzle.com/) is ripping off our SDC registered designs and logos. They are advertising them on shirts, etc. with no right to do so.
    DO NOT PATRONIZE THEM, and get the word out to our SDC members.

Apparently they are posting on Facebook and other sites with SDC owned logos for sale.

If you want to wear an SDC logoed shirt, go to the Studebaker National Museum site and purchase there... or at one of our SDC meets.
    Visit the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana, to experience the story of one of the world's foremost automotive makers.

Thanks

I went to their site and searched for all of their Studebaker logo'd items.
    I did not see one that was copyrighted.
    Please share with us all how this could be.
    Which items have a copyright on them?

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
    It has been brought to my attention that a company (http://www.zazzle.com/) is ripping off our SDC registered designs and logos. They are advertising them on shirts, etc. with no right to do so.
    DO NOT PATRONIZE THEM, and get the word out to our SDC members.

Apparently they are posting on Facebook and other sites with SDC owned logos for sale.

If you want to wear an SDC logoed shirt, go to the Studebaker National Museum site and purchase there... or at one of our SDC meets.
    Visit the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana, to experience the story of one of the world's foremost automotive makers.

Thanks
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That's correct, Jeff. 47 pages of Studebaker themed items for sale, but nothing that says Studebaker Drivers Club. Much of the artwork has long since passed into public usage, and is not protected.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

They sell Excalibur items but ALL are authorized. I've never seen them rip off anyone.

Comment

And not even ONE Lark or Champ.......

WTH?

I guess they couldn't get it right.......
          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Perhaps the SDC could learn a lesson on how to offer as wide an assortment of items as this website does. And maybe do a deal with them to tie into their fabulous offerings. Offer a discount to anyone buying from the other website by negotiating a percentage of the deal for the referral. Use an offer code to gain access to the discount and trigger the commission back to SDC.
            SDC really needs to get into the digital world and learn how to maximize its reach and scope. Some of those old farts are still thinking like its 1967.
            sals54

Comment

Speaking of items, in checking out the SDC swag for a t-shirt, just curious where did "We Invented Cool" come from? It seems kind of an arbitrary slogan and at least for me, kinda cheesy. If it was an air conditioner club it would be awesome, but I'm not sure how that's Studebaker specific.
              Dean Seavers
              Sacramento, CA

Comment

Speaking of items, in checking out the SDC swag for a t-shirt, just curious where did "We Invented Cool" come from? It seems kind of an arbitrary slogan and at least for me, kinda cheesy. If it was an air conditioner club it would be awesome, but I'm not sure how that's Studebaker specific.
                I believe our president Tom Curtis came up with that one. I like it - a lot.
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

If you have a 6 volt Studebaker with no air conditioning in the summer - "You be Hot"!!
                  Charlie D.

Comment

Curious thread.

Adding to it-
                    right about the time this was first posted- an SDC Officer posted in one of the many Stude Groups on Facebook. The post basically said this same thing about 'copyrighted' materials. When I went back to check on it the next day- it had disappeared.

More strange is that I have NEVER seen these items advertised in any of the many Stude Groups I belong to on Facebook...

Just sayin'.

StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post
                      The word 'cool' has nothing to do with AC in the slogan. 'Cool' is the current 'in' word to describe something that's 'neat' or 'great'. Listen to the younger generation and you'll hear the word all the time. It's even rubbed off on me.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                        The word 'cool' has nothing to do with AC in the slogan. 'Cool' is the current 'in' word to describe something that's 'neat' or 'great'. Listen to the younger generation and you'll hear the word all the time. It's even rubbed off on me.

Stu Chapman
                        Stu, without belaboring it because I realize the slogan is just a taste thing, I know what the word "cool" means - it's in my own vernacular on a regular basis. I just don't know on what basis Studebaker "invented" cool. They are awesome cars, but I'm sure any car club can claim their brand is the coolest or also invented cool. For me personally, I would have gone for something less generic and arbitrary and more Studebaker-specific, such as a variation of a Studebaker ad slogan from the past: "Studebaker Drivers Club - the club with "Performability." or "Studebaker Drivers Club - Different By Design" or something that depicts a mission statement:"Studebaker Drivers Club - promoting The Great Independent since 1962." But again, that's just me. No harm, no foul.
                        Dean Seavers
                        Sacramento, CA

Comment

I didn't look thru all forty-some pages, but they do have some neat things.
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post
                            Stu, without belaboring it because I realize the slogan is just a taste thing, I know what the word "cool" means - it's in my own vernacular on a regular basis. I just don't know on what basis Studebaker "invented" cool. They are awesome cars, but I'm sure any car club can claim their brand is the coolest or also invented cool. For me personally, I would have gone for something less generic and arbitrary and more Studebaker-specific, such as a variation of a Studebaker ad slogan from the past: "Studebaker Drivers Club - the club with "Performability." or "Studebaker Drivers Club - Different By Design" or something that depicts a mission statement:"Studebaker Drivers Club - promoting The Great Independent since 1962." But again, that's just me. No harm, no foul.
                            I completely agree with you. I have refused to wear or use anything with that "We Invented Cool" slogan on it. To me, it just comes across as being arrogant, presumptuous and egotistical. Just when did Studebaker invent cool? SDC should do things to bring Studebaker into the mainstream collector car picture, not do things that try to separate us.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To me, it just comes across as being arrogant, presumptuous and egotistical. Just when did Studebaker invent cool? SDC should do things to bring Studebaker into the mainstream collector car picture, not do things that try to separate us.
                              !!!!! You gotta be kidding, right? You do understand that the point is to show Studebaker pride?

Please list 5 things the SDC could do - right now! If you can't - stop whining.

Comment

Working...
                              X