The Last Studebaker - 50 Years Ago This Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Studebaker - 50 Years Ago This Morning

This is St. Patrick's Day, and it was on this day 50 years ago that the last Studebaker rolled off the line in our Canadian plant in Hamilton, Ontario.

The Studebaker National Museum is commemorating this key anniversary with a special Canadian display that must be seen. Yesterday I was privileged to address the Museum's two special presentations recognizing the event with many Studebaker devotees in attendance.

I was so pleased to see so many who came many miles for this event, including SDC past presidents Ed Reynolds and Terry Judd. However the longest distance recognition goes to Bob Barrick and Cliff Tattersall who drove 400 miles from Ontario to be with us.

This display, which includes our last Studebaker, runs until the end of May and occupies the Museum's Atrium area. Do make a point of coming to South Bend to be a part of this historic event.

Stu Chapman

Hi Stu

The clock here is 8;11 am and thinking about you and the anniversary. Wishing you the best today - and wishing we had driven to SB (but we are a little "full" of driving having just returned from Florida a couple of days ago). Please say hi to Thelma for us too! See you soon.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Hi

Studebaker now belongs to the ages, fifty years and counting.

As the Packard Club notes "With every tick of the clock, the Packard Legend grows" so too is true of Studebaker.

Steve

Comment

Thank You Stu!
        And Thank You STUDEBAKER, for being the Greatest Vehicle Manufacturer the World has ever known!
        Jim Sinclair
        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Thank you for a great presentation yesterday, Stu. My wife Cari thoroughly enjoyed it, as well as meeting you and Thelma. Unbelievably interesting. Great videos and stills.

(I hope the power stayed on for your entire presentation during the evening show; you did a commendable job "carrying on" during the unexpected power glitches in the afternoon!)

All the best. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The week end of the swap meet I will get a chance to view it along with Ian Mackellar from Australia, looking forward to the trip close to 6000 miles round trip for me and a lot longer for Ian but all worth it .....Bob
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Thank you, Stu, for your fine efforts in keeping Studebaker history alive. There are not many people who, after having a fairly short career with a company, would still be promoting it 50 years later.
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

Stu, lots of things learned with the presentation. Looking forward to reading your book...
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks Mr. Chapman for your dedication to Studebaker.
                  Having been born in South Bend and living through the closing of the plants there, I have a feeling for what went on in Hamilton too.
                  Many of my relatives were devoted Studebaker employees, I was a high school student at the time, and loosing jobs just before Christmas was devastating. Even more devastating was the total void left in the area which has yet to fully recover.
                  My 66 Daytona is resting peacefully in the garage and I think I noticed a little tear in one headlight this morning.
                  Let's hope Studebaker lives on with those that still drive and enjoy them for the next 50 years too.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                    This is St. Patrick's Day, and it was on this day 50 years ago that the last Studebaker rolled off the line in our Canadian plant in Hamilton, Ontario.

The Studebaker National Museum is commemorating this key anniversary with a special Canadian display that must be seen. Yesterday I was privileged to address the Museum's two special presentations recognizing the event with many Studebaker devotees in attendance.

I was so pleased to see so many who came many miles for this event, including SDC past presidents Ed Reynolds and Terry Judd. However the longest distance recognition goes to Bob Barrick and Cliff Tattersall who drove 400 miles from Ontario to be with us.

This display, which includes our last Studebaker, runs until the end of May and occupies the Museum's Atrium area. Do make a point of coming to South Bend to be a part of this historic event.

Stu Chapman

Thank you Stu , it was well worth the trip , Cliff and I totally enjoyed your presentation ...... Great job !
                    safe trip back home .
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bob, congratulations on your longest distance recognition to the Stu Chapman presentation.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

"Thank you for a great presentation yesterday. Unbelievably interesting. Great videos and stills."
                        "Thank you Stu , it was well worth the trip , and I totally enjoyed your presentation ...... Great job !
                        safe trip back home."

Stu:
                        Because Bob P. and Bob B said what I wanted to say I copied and pasted a portion of their posts.
                        You did our CLUB Nationally, Regionally and Locally "PROUD".

Thanks
                        cliff t
                        Last edited by 2moredoors; 03-17-2016, 04:06 PM.
                        sigpic
                        55 President Deluxe
                        64 Commander
                        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Well... at 50 years plus 1 beautiful sunny warm day after the demise of the Studebaker automobile, I brought out my stable of cars to take a spin. Filled the Avanti up with a mixture of 110 octane leaded fuel and 89 octane non-ethanol gas. Then I pumped up the tires and topped off the oil. The 53 year old gal was in good form today and running like a well-oiled sewing machine.
                            Attached Files
                            edp/NC
                            \'63 Avanti
                            \'66 Commander

Comment

Last Studebaker TV News Clip

There have been a few inquiries to determine if my Studebaker National Museum presentation of last week would be videotaped so members could get a copy. Unfortunately, the cost of doing this professionally was prohibitive.

However, I do have the original script from CHCH-TV Channel 11 News in Hamilton when reporter Jim Bay covered the announcement of the last Studebaker on March 17th 1966. If any Forum member would like to have a PDF copy as a souvenir, please send me a PM on the Forum with your request along with your email address. I'll be happy to send it to you by email and you can print it.

I will be speaking to the Hamilton Public Library, Sherwood Branch, this coming Wednesday, March 30th at 2:30 pm. My presentation will be very similar to that given at the Museum. If anyone is within a reasonable driving distance of Hamilton then please pay us a visit. The Library is located at 467 Upper Ottawa Street in Hamilton. Copies of my book, "My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker" will be available for sale at this event.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                              X