Champ Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Questions

A local classic car dealer just brought home a Champ he purchased at an estate sale. He has some questions, as he has not yet received all the paper work, and he is hearing different things from different folks. I'm not up on Champs, so I told him I'd get him some answers here.

Year? He was told it has a Ford bed, but I thought they used Dodge beds. It's a 3 on the tree w/OD.

He reports that there is some rust in the floor boards.

289 or 259?

Value?
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Definitely a Dodge-based (P-2) box.

Need the engine number to determine the size. Does it start with 'P' (289), or 'V' (259)?

What does he plan to do with those wheelcovers?

Craig

Comment

Appears to be a 7E7-112. That would be a 1962 1/2 ton V8 with the short bed. The P2 box was standard starting in 1961 - but the P1 was still available for some time.

From the valve covers it appears to be a '62 V8 - but color can always be changed. 259 standard was the base V8 engine - engine numbers start with 3E. Heavy Duty 259 start with 5E. Standard 289 will start with 7E and heavy duty 289 were labeled 6E.

First VIN for '62 V8s is E7-16201. First VIN for '63 V8 is E7-18901.

Looks to be in decent shape - worst place for rust will be just inside each A-pilar on the floor where the body mount bolt is located. Value is really what someone is willing to pay - if it was mine, I would start @$5K. Looks like it is in good enough shape to be a quick restore for someone looking for a nice little truck.
      Last edited by 62champ; 03-16-2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Definitely a Dodge-based (P-2) box.

Need the engine number to determine the size. Does it start with 'P' (289), or 'V' (259)?

What does he plan to do with those wheelcovers?

Craig
        I did tell him where to find the engine number, I'll tell him to look for the P or V.

We didn't talk about the wheel covers, but I'll ask him.
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

Looks like a solid Champ pickup not all rusted out like most.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
            Appears to be a 7E7-112. That would be a 1962 1/2 ton V8 with the short bed. The P2 box was standard starting in 1961 - but the P1 was still available for some time.

From the valve covers it appears to be a '62 V8...
            I concur with Patrick. My 8E7 also has the V8 (259 in my case) with the 3-speed OD. Makes for a really nice road and work truck. Should make someone a nice project.

And Craig is right: the bed design originated with Dodge.
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

The Avanti wheel covers look good on a Champ!
              I am amazed at the variety of rear bumpers that I have seen on Champs. Seems that no two Champ rear bumpers are alike.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                I am amazed at the variety of rear bumpers that I have seen on Champs.
                When these trucks were new the front bumper was all you got on the standard truck - and like other makes, I am sure a lot of Studebaker dealers would go with a local company to source rear bumpers and would have a variety to choose from.

This bumper on the rear of my Champ was from a local company and was pretty heavy duty. When it was painted some years back, the person who did it said it easily weighted over 100 lbs - perfect for farm work.

Comment

A little rust in the floor is only authentication that the truck is a Studebaker.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1704309 Nice looking truck. Does look like a '62 possibly. However there is the numbers written on the windshield, '63'. However the engine looks all wrong for a '63. I love the air cleaner!
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The rust is standard for a T cab, I have not found one yet that the floors were solid.....I have replaced the floors on 2 of em.....Looks to be a deluxe model, sliding window, SS trim on the fenders, chrome grill.....Dodge bed is correct, looks to have the correct turn signal/parking lite, fresh air inlet on it....The rear bumper is an accessory by Studebaker, I have had quiet a few of them with that style bumper on them......Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Check again on the rear bumper.....really doesn't look too bad from 20 ft. Of course that's a world of space when you get inside of 5 ft. and lift up the mat/carpet. Not a bad time to put new rear springs out back too with that iron...

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        The rust is standard for a T cab, I have not found one yet that the floors were solid.
                        The ONLY way to find one with a rust-free floor is where the original owner removed the rubber mat and underlay the day he brought it home from the dealer. I think I've only seen ONE with a nice, rust-free floor where an original owner actually did that!

Craig

Comment

AMen to that. I've always believed that the Rubber floor mats were the problem. You'll find none in my Studes.

Comment

Champ Floors

Click image for larger version

Name:	Champ side.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1704310 This is my second Champ, the first one I had needed floor replacement. This one has the original floors and there isn't a speck of rust anywhere, probably helped that it sat in a controlled environment for 45 years--- exactly the reason I bought it!
                            sigpic

Comment

Nice truck Gene. Now how could anyone not want one like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X