80-year-old flexible brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80-year-old flexible brake lines

While I' m jealous of all who are able to get to York today and this weekend, I spent some time replacing brake lines on my '35 Commander. '35 was the first year for hydraulic brakes and I have no reason to believe that these hoses are not original.

It has been noted here many times that it is best to make sure your Studebaker stops properly before you worry about making it go. As I removed these deteriorated hoses I reflected that there isn't a Studebaker anywhere that has original brake hoses that are less than 50 years old. I feel much better after changing the hoses

Tom,
    Your photo attachments didn't work but, making certain that brakes are in full function is the single cheapest insurance anyone can make.

Well done!
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm in the process of replacing all the brake lines on my 1966 Studebaker, flex and steel. Who knows what 50 years of corrosion and rust can do to the steel lines that hold all that pressure too. When I'm done the entire brake system will have been either rebuilt or replaced, including an updated, dual master cylinder instead of the original single. Brakes and tires, the 2 best insurance policies you can provide for yourself and your classic/antique vehicle.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I'll try againClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1704211Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1704212

Comment

Um, yeah... those are near to returning to their base components Worth the effort indeed!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh my yes! Not much left of those. Glad to hear another Studee is headed back to the road!
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
            X