PDA

View Full Version : Driving every day!!

Okiejoe86
03-10-2016, 07:28 PM
So after months of drum brake tinkering, cooling system flushing, head banging my head against the wall due to dragging brakes.. I have finally fixed my brake problem and have driven my grandfathers 1940 Studebaker President further in the past week then it has over the past 20-30 years!!! Found the adjustment rod between the brake pedal and master cylinder was adjusted to tight. I am treating this forum as a blog because I dont have very many friends nearby to talk about my new found happiness and glory for driving the President.

I have driven the President to work the last couple of days for one, just to get the car outside to gather some sunshine, and two also to show it to fellow employees. It is a 8 mile drive one way, and bboooyyyyy let me tell ya... I enjoy every bit of it!!!! It is a feeling that is impossible to explain. No radio, no AC, just the vent in front open to allow fresh air inside, cycling through the gears, cruising at a low speed, waving and smiling at everyone that is waving and staring and smiling back at me.

it is almost heart braking because m grandfather has been battling this brake drag for years. It is the main reason that he never drove it long distances. He took it to a couple brakes shops that just tweaked the drums and replaced wheel cylinders. After I noticed the adjustment on the brake pedal and realized it was the cause to my brakes dragging just blows my mind. I wish I would have noticed that years ago so I could have taken grandpa on a long cruise before he moved on to the new world.

Sorry if this post is long and boring, I just need to vent my enjoyment to others about my cruising to work in the Studebaker!!

Now I am just waiting for my boss to tell me to stop driving to work in it because I am slowing down the work load due to everyone wanting to hear the story behind the car.

KEEP ON DRIVING FELLOW STUDEBAKER OWNERS!! NEWER STUDEBAKER OWNER HERE AND I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r1lark
03-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Joe, good to hear you have the problem solved! I looked at the pictures in your album -- that is a beautiful car. Enjoy, and think of your grandfather every time you drive it. :)

63t-cab
03-10-2016, 07:50 PM
I can relate to all You say and feel Joe,and being a Studebaker just tops it off all the more :)

Kato
03-10-2016, 08:17 PM
So after months of drum brake tinkering, cooling system flushing, head banging my head against the wall due to dragging brakes.. I have finally fixed my brake problem and have driven my grandfathers 1940 Studebaker President further in the past week then it has over the past 20-30 years!!! Found the adjustment rod between the brake pedal and master cylinder was adjusted to tight. I am treating this forum as a blog because I dont have very many friends nearby to talk about my new found happiness and glory for driving the President.

I have driven the President to work the last couple of days for one, just to get the car outside to gather some sunshine, and two also to show it to fellow employees. It is a 8 mile drive one way, and bboooyyyyy let me tell ya... I enjoy every bit of it!!!! It is a feeling that is impossible to explain. No radio, no AC, just the vent in front open to allow fresh air inside, cycling through the gears, cruising at a low speed, waving and smiling at everyone that is waving and staring and smiling back at me.

it is almost heart braking because m grandfather has been battling this brake drag for years. It is the main reason that he never drove it long distances. He took it to a couple brakes shops that just tweaked the drums and replaced wheel cylinders. After I noticed the adjustment on the brake pedal and realized it was the cause to my brakes dragging just blows my mind. I wish I would have noticed that years ago so I could have taken grandpa on a long cruise before he moved on to the new world.

Sorry if this post is long and boring, I just need to vent my enjoyment to others about my cruising to work in the Studebaker!!

Now I am just waiting for my boss to tell me to stop driving to work in it because I am slowing down the work load due to everyone wanting to hear the story behind the car.

KEEP ON DRIVING FELLOW STUDEBAKER OWNERS!! NEWER STUDEBAKER OWNER HERE AND I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post! I can hear the enthusiasm and excitement clearly. I get it because I get the same driving my Studebaker and it wasn't my Grand Fathers car like yours is. Looking forward to driving season again up here in the Great White North so I can be THAT excited!

StudeNewby
03-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Congratulations, Joe! So many of us know the thrill of driving our Studes on a regular that we can relate, but driving your grandfather's car is a special joy indeed. I'm glad you found the nagging problem...keep us posted on your adventures!

Okiejoe86
03-10-2016, 08:35 PM

Quick picture before parking in the garage for the night!! Now that I am capable of driving it every day.... I might blow up the forum with my driving adventures....

BILT4ME
03-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Welcome Joe! So glad that you can get it out and enjoy it!

Drive it as much as you can and show everyone and share your story! It's ALL about the story.

Commander Eddie
03-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Joe, that is one handsome car. No wonder you are proud to drive it. Drive it as much as you want. Have a great time. We only get one time around on this earth so have a blast. I wish you lived closer. I'd love to go for a ride. :!!:

Noxnabaker
03-11-2016, 02:39 PM
COOL story ! ! !
I'm just as happy as you & I also got my Studebaker to DRIVE it & can't understand why not! (Yep, that's how narrow-minded I am)

Corvanti
03-11-2016, 03:55 PM
looking forward to more stories coming on this thread/"blog"!!! :!::!!::cool:

Randy Ridenour
03-11-2016, 03:56 PM
That is a beautiful car! Great to hear that you resolved the brake issue and are able to drive it once again.

Okiejoe86
03-11-2016, 03:59 PM
looking forward to more stories coming on this thread/"blog"!!! :!::!!::cool:

I would love for this thread to turn into a story board!! I forgot the mention when I was filling for gas that same day, I had an older gentleman come up to me just to shake my hand because I am a younger man driving such an older car!!

SC38DLS
03-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Joe. Congrads on getting it fixed. I've had my 38 State Commander about 6 weeks now and my wife is getting frustrated because I keep finding reasons to go somewhere just to drive it! I get the same results with people waving and smiling as we go by. If I stop any where it is a 20-30 minute stop telling people what kind of car it is and the story behind it. It's a ball every day. I use to have a 49 Ford pickup and there are a bunch of guys that get together once or twice a year just to talk about Ford trucks. They come from all over the country. One fellow has driven his stock 48 from AZ and back twice. This year the TRUCKFEST will be in central TN and I am planning on taking the Commander. Have fun and keep this thread active.

GrumpyOne
03-13-2016, 09:43 PM
There is nothing as satisfying as finding the cure for a long running malady!

In my case, it was my '55 Power Hawk which I purchased from my neighbor back in January of 1966. He boasted of the "freewheeling" feature and it only had 33K on the odometer. I drove it to DC from RI without a hiccup and after a few months, I still had the feeling that it had a full overdrive which as far as I can tell never worked on the car. It would blow fuses immediately on that control box on the firewall where a wire ran down to the transmission.

One day while the car was on the lift, I noticed a wire laying across the frame and noted that it had a bare spot and that was the wire. I taped it up, put a new fuse on that control box and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I used to make regular runs from DC to RI and back and average 26 mpg translating to less than a full tank each way. It still does pretty well considering the crappy gas one gets these days...

studeclunker
03-14-2016, 12:55 AM
?She is a beauty Joe. would it be possible to see more pics? I looooove pics!

Okiejoe86
03-14-2016, 07:12 AM
?She is a beauty Joe. would it be possible to see more pics? I looooove pics!

I have some posted on my profile. But I will go ahead and throw some up on here!!:!:

Green53
03-14-2016, 09:45 PM
Beautiful car Joe. My 40 President is a 2 door Club Sedan. Is a street Rod that is great to drive. Keep yours original.

Denny L
1940 President club Sedan street Rod
1964 Avanti R1
1964 Daytona convertible R1

Okiejoe86
04-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Beautiful car Joe. My 40 President is a 2 door Club Sedan. Is a street Rod that is great to drive. Keep yours original.

My car will always be original! My grandfather would rise from the grave and whoop my butt if I tried to street rod my president!!

JoeHall
04-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Congrats Joe! Wonderful story. Hope you continue to drive the heck out of it. That's what it was made for :)

48skyliner
04-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Glad to see you are driving that car. I have always thought the 39-40 Studebakers were some of the best looking cars of that era. My opinion is that driving these cars to work, to the store, or any where else does more to promote the Studebaker name than just showing them at car shows.

I built my 48 Champion to drive and have been waiting for better weather. Drove it about 20 miles today, just a shopping trip. Everywhere I go I have people saying it is a beautiful car - gives you a sense of satisfaction after all that work. I think most people don't really notice that it is modified except of course for the wheels and tires.

We just hit 85 degrees as I am writing this - first time the temp has been over 80 degrees before 15 April here since 1906, according to the weather folks.

StudeRich
04-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Cool Car Joe, so it is not actually Black like the first low light Pic showed, it's Black Cherry! Way cool, it really IS a Cherry! :!:

studeclunker
04-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Thank you Joe for posting the pics!:D I too am very fond of looking at this vintage. In fact, my favourite viewing vintage starts in the late thirties and ends around the second World War. Your enthusiasm is contagious and encouraging for people like myself, so never think that writing about your beautiful car is boring. I love this kind of story. It would be a dream come true for me to find my Grandmother's stationwagon some day, but I fear it was destroyed in one of the many fires that plague Northern California. Perhaps someday I'll find a wagon similar and just be satisfied with that. So, revel in this priceless treasure that your Gramps left you with. Do please keep us abreast of your adventures with the old President!:!: