How Many R1 Engines Were Produced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many R1 Engines Were Produced?

My Champ pickup has an R1 engine in it. The truck was built that way by the previous owner who used it to tow a small trailer for his Studebaker parts business. I really never thought much about the engine's history until recently. I know that the JT engines began with JT1001. Mine is JT1045. How many JT engines were built? I would like to know where my engine stands in the production of these engines and what car was it in from the factory, if it ever in a factory built car? Thanks for the help.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Where your Engine stands is; it is the 45th. R1 Engine Built for 1963 Avanti Powered Lark/Hawk use.

Since it has a Serial Number, it most certainly was Factory Installed in a '63 Lark or Hawk.
    It would have to be a Avanti Powered one, NOT a Super Lark/Hawk due to it's early production.

There is also a Date Code cast into the Rear end of the Block.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Some trucks were supplied with "R" series engines on special order. A friend who has long passed ordered one back in the 1963 or 64 model year. I don't recall if it was an R1 or R2 though..

Comment

We only know of the TWO verified R2 Champs Factory built for Paxton Products Co.
        They also had Avanti Disc Brakes.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That engine, JT1045 came in a Hawk ser #2428
          Klif
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great and fast as well!

I knew that my truck did not come with the R1 as it was orginaly a 6 cylinder model.
            How many such engines were produced?
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

As I understand it, there were a lot more spare motors built than ever ended up being installed in Studebakers at the factory. Supposedly there were an unknown quantity of all motors produced that were built for for warranty replacements etc. I heard a story about a Portland Oregon boat builder who bought a large number of R1s and R2s to put in boats back in the '60s. I think he also sold some of those motors, or so I have heard. I don't know if they were so-called "cloverleaf" motors or carried the JT/JTS numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                As I understand it, there were a lot more spare motors built than ever ended up being installed in Studebakers at the factory. Supposedly there were an unknown quantity of all motors produced that were built for for warranty replacements etc. I heard a story about a Portland Oregon boat builder who bought a large number of R1s and R2s to put in boats back in the '60s. I think he also sold some of those motors, or so I have heard. I don't know if they were so-called "cloverleaf" motors or carried the JT/JTS numbers.
                I recall a Turning Wheels article around 1975 on a boat in the Pacific Northwest running two R-2's. Prior to my move I found it and posted which month it was here on the Forum. I want to say the boat was in Washington state.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                  I recall a Turning Wheels article around 1975 on a boat in the Pacific Northwest running two R-2's. Prior to my move I found it and posted which month it was here on the Forum. I want to say the boat was in Washington state.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X