Problem getting gas into the tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem getting gas into the tank

Sunny day so we took the Hawk out for a drive and I noticed that I needed to fill the tank, I had recently replaced the tank float and was unsure if it was giving me an accurate reading, so I pulled into our local Chevron station. I am somewhat taken aback by the extended and quite ridged pollution attachment on the end of the fuel nozzle. I also quickly find that even after trying every angle possible I can't get the nozzle in far enough to get the gas flowing. I am forced to leave the station and find another. I did find another station that still had the more flexible nozzle and was able to fill the tank. The gas gauge was spot on, after running out of gas twice this was a relief. My question is, have any others run across this problem and if there is some sort of extension for the filler neck that will not negate the pollution device and is detachable so that it does not change the cars filler neck?
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

What year Hawk?

Comment

I am not sure I understand the problem. I do know that near Big Cities in some States and certain Counties in others where Air Pollution is High, they do have rather large Gasket/Seal thingies spring loaded usually back about 6-7 inches from the end.

But the Plus is, they all have to have a tiny actual nozzle/pipe at the end to fit all the newer Cars with the tiny opening of the Rollover protection flapper device in the filler neck. And we all have much Larger Filler Pipes.

Sometimes you can just pull the spring loaded Seal Ring BACK and defeat the stupid thing and with the Nozzle not as far in, just pour away!

Maybe not, if the U.S. Surgeon General or the Director of the EPA is standing behind you, but what are the chances?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dont feel bad Don. I have a 2004 Hyundai Accent to run around in & have the same problem. I have to feed the gas in at just above the slowest rate & cant use one of the stops to allow me to clean the windshield or whatever at the same time no matter what angle I use to fill it with. It's just as bad as just about any of my Studebakers especially the Champ. These controls are mandated by fools (brain dead corpse's that have to justify their existence) that have no idea how they operate, just like the gas cans that no longer have a vent. Supposed to decrease pollution but cause one to spill more gas then ever! Now I've vented.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I used to have this problem with my Willys. The real issue is that the new pumps flow much faster than in the old days. I also needed a new tank, So while I was replacing it, I cut out the tiny 1/4" filler vent tube/hose, and replaced them with a modern car 1/2" vent. Had to weld a barb into the new tank, but it was well worth it. Problem solved. As a stop gap, I used Two fingers to pull back on the emissions bellows thing while pumping, to gain more venting, but usually got some gas on my fingers. Actually driving old cars today ain't the same as it was back then! Good luck.

Comment

There used to be a tool to hold the bellows back for motorcycles. Don't know if there still around but mite be possible to find one.
            Klif
            55 Speedster/Street Machine
            63 Avanti R2
            64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by whitehawk759 View Post
              Sunny day so we took the Hawk out for a drive and I noticed that I needed to fill the tank, I had recently replaced the tank float and was unsure if it was giving me an accurate reading, so I pulled into our local Chevron station. I am somewhat taken aback by the extended and quite ridged pollution attachment on the end of the fuel nozzle. I also quickly find that even after trying every angle possible I can't get the nozzle in far enough to get the gas flowing. I am forced to leave the station and find another. I did find another station that still had the more flexible nozzle and was able to fill the tank. The gas gauge was spot on, after running out of gas twice this was a relief. My question is, have any others run across this problem and if there is some sort of extension for the filler neck that will not negate the pollution device and is detachable so that it does not change the cars filler neck?
              Since the idea of those nozzles is to not allow vapor from escaping the filler quickly (it has to go up the outside of the chambered hose) you have a few choices, as I see it: Press the pump nozzle in to depress the spring, and lift the rubber seal to break the sealing action, add a "vent hose" off the top of the tank, fill gas cans and pour them into the tank. Surprised you haven't had to deal with these things before, California has had them for 20 years or more. Not designed to be user friendly, just regulatory friendly!

Comment

I have had trouble with these as well. Once I was filling my '56 wagon and the silly thing actually pressurized the tank. When I realized the problem I yanked the nozzle out and there was a stream of gas gushing out all over the ground. Wasted several gallons at around three-and-a-half bucks each. After that I have kept two fingers between the filler and the nozzle-boot. My Champs cause them to choke and also have to be run at the slowest possible rate. However I can leave the nozzle in it whilst it fills. Problem is I can't fill the tank all the way as the filler hose leaks if I do on the '62. Gotta fix that.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The Hawk is a 61, problem was the gas door wouldn't let the nozzle go in far enough to trigger the mechanism to allow the gas to flow. Couple this with the fact that my hands are too large to get into the opening and hold back the vent. In this case the tip was too ridged and would not go back far enough to allow me to insert the nozzle tip into the tank opening. This was a new type that I had not run across before, "wave of the future" I imagine. Something on the order of what kifton1 suggested was what I had in mind. I have only had to deal with the softer type that I was able to hold back so I could insert the nozzle. I am also concerned as to what Canadian gas stations use as I plan to go to the Pacific Zone meet in Kamloops later this year.
                  Don Watson
                  61 Hawk

Comment

I saw a "work around" for the filler access on a Classic Mustang site, where the owner was having the same kind of problem because of the filler location. His "fix" was to carry a length of chrome 1 1/2" drain pipe from Home Depot, that had a flange on one end to engage the nozzle, and slip into the filler neck, might be able to find one with a bend in it to get around the filler door problem--acts like a funnel-sorta-.

Comment

Working...
                    X