• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '35 Commander---How to remove metal spare tire cover

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1750511Pictured (I hope) is the rear mounted spare tire on my recently purchased '35 Commander. I've never owned a car that had a cover on the outside mounted spare. Before I twist this cover and mess it up, I figured I'd ask here first --- what is the proper procedure to remove the cover?

Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1750512While I was taking pictures I thought I would pop the hubcap off the spare to see what was inside the cover. I was unpleasantly surprised to find a lock on the wheel. Now what to do? The only key I had for anything on the car was the ignition key. I tried it and it fit. After wiggling the key around a bit, it actually unlocked. I feel like I really dodged a bullet.

Now I'm really anxious to get the cover off because I can see that the spare wheel still has what looks like original pin striping on it. None of the wheels on the ground have striping, (and neither does the body, leading me to suspect that the car has been repainted at least once), so I look forward to having a good example if I ever repaint and stripe the rest of the wheels.

Anyway, who can help me with removal of the cover? Thanks. Tom

Is there anything like this band clamp at the bottom on the inner half of the cover?

Name:	P3070015.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1704178 Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070017.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1704181
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It looks to me that if you remove the lock covering the lug nut, you will be able to rotate the horizontal bar counterclockwise and release the tabs connected to the cover that hold it to the wheel.
      Look to see if there is a slot along the inside edge of the rim of the hub cap opening where the tabs on the horz. bar would slide into.
      Last edited by M15 Trucker; 03-07-2016, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Tom it is a little hard to explain just bring the car over along with the keys and because I'm busy it may take a week or two but I'll call when I have the cover off. Hope your enjoying the new toy.

Comment

Brad---All there is on the bottom of the inner cover is a pull loop. No latching mechanism. I can get the cover loose, and partially off, but it hangs up on the tire. I guess I just need to know if I should continue to wrestle it or is there an easy way to get it off.

George ---It'd be tough for me to get it to you, but you're welcome to come here anytime to try it. You know where I live. Tom

Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1704215
          Attached Files

Comment

This looks like a lock I used to have on an old Ford pickup. The lock actually covered a lug nut and unlocking it allowed you to remove the lock covering the nut holding the wheel along with the other two on the bar.

Comment

Tom, I thought you would have figured it out by now. Yeah just pull the ring and spread it open and off. Then in the center above the hubcap is a small spring loaded door that has a nut under it to remove the center disc.

Comment

Working...
              X