Oil Pan Drain Plug Washer, Inner Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Pan Drain Plug Washer, Inner Diameter

Does anyone know the ID of the washer for the oil pan drain plug, on 62/63 V8? I want to pick up a couple of copper/bronze ones if I can find them, but need the ID.

The parts manual says the plug is 3/8" x 18, but I find that hard to believe. I am guessing maybe 7/16" or 1/2", if memory serves. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

drill out your choice, or as Gravely used: hard plastic

Comment

The 3/8 x 18 they mention is more than likely a pipe thread. The plug thread would have an outside diameter of just over 5/8" and a little less than 11/16", if that helps.

Officially a 3/8-18 pipe thread should have a 0.675 outer diameter. The one I have here is 0.639" where the flange meets the bottom of the thread.

Len

P.S. This is a close off the shelf product. It is metric and has an ID of 17mm, OD of 24mm by 2.5mm thick. http://www.ebay.com/itm/M17-Copper-c...BVwSZ2&vxp=mtr

Or just order one from a Studebaker vendor.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2016, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
        The 3/8 x 18 they mention is more than likely a pipe thread. The plug thread would have an outside diameter of just over 5/8" and a little less than 11/16", if that helps.

Officially a 3/8-18 pipe thread should have a 0.675 outer diameter. The one I have here is 0.639" where the flange meets the bottom of the thread.

Len

P.S. This is a close off the shelf product. It is metric and has an ID of 17mm, OD of 24mm by 2.5mm thick. http://www.ebay.com/itm/M17-Copper-c...BVwSZ2&vxp=mtr

Or just order one from a Studebaker vendor.
        Thanks, this is the info I was hoping for. Only other way woulda been to back a plug out a few threads and put the dial calipers on it. I don't want another fiber one from a vendor. That's why I am going this route.

Thanks Again

Comment

If it is actually 3/8" pipe then no washer should be needed because pipe thread is tapered and naturally wants to seal the tighter it gets. Neal

Comment

Harbor Freight has a set of copper washers of different sizes for a few bucks. You will have to put them in a lathe and open up the hole to fit right but you will have about 10 of them.

Comment

http://www.idspackaging.com/common/p...signations.htm

Len
              Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

The oil pan drain plug is definitely not a tapered pipe thread. Threads are parallel and not intended to seal. The plug screws into a nut plate that is just spot welded inside the pan. It's not a "bung", and no attempt was made to seal it to the pan. The seal is made by the plug flange and gasket against the skin of the pan.
                By the way, I remember an old story about a bunch of defective plugs getting sold by mistake. The flange wasn't square with the threaded portion and one side bottoms out leaving a gap opposite. The plugs had been put aside for remachining or return for credit, and got loose after Stude closed.
                Mike M.

Comment

Working...
                X