Lark seen ice racing in 1962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark seen ice racing in 1962

This is a sportscar race on Lake Saint-Pierre in Quebec.

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

I enjoy watching this kind of racing. In this clip I was surprised not to see a Saab in ice racing. Now, that said, I watched the clip 4 times and did not see the Studebaker. When in the clip were there was a Studebaker?
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
      I enjoy watching this kind of racing. In this clip I was surprised not to see a Saab in ice racing.
      Saab did not enter the Canadian market until 1975(!). And I believe 1963 was the first year Saab officially entered the U.S. market.

Craig

Comment

Check at 0:45. It's the following another car. If you blink you might miss it, as I did about 3 times.

Comment

It appears twice. At 0:47 and at 0:51.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

You must have a LOT quicker EYE than most of us, I saw nothing after 3 views.

So help us out, '59, 60, 61, '62, or '63 Lark?
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-02-2016, 10:15 AM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              You must have a LOT quicker EYE than most of us, I saw nothing after 3 views.

So help us out, '59, 60, 61, '62, or '63 Lark?
              Its a '59 or '60 4 door. One will see it immediately before the Rover P4 (which looks like a scaled-down '47 Studebaker) overtakes it.

Craig

Comment

Dan and Rich Dobbins were ice racing faily regularly, I believe on lake George, NY. I'm sure they have some videos.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think SAABs were sold in the US in the late 50s.
                  Supposedly in 1958 750 GT was aimed specifically at the "growing US market."

Swedecar, located in Los Angeles Southbay area. We specialize in service and repair of Swedish cars. If you own a Saab or a Volvo, let us service, maintain and repair it for you. We use the latest computer based technology to find the problems on your car. Only the highest quality Saab and Volvo parts are installed in your vehicle.

Comment

I finally found the Studebaker! Only on the screen for a second or so.
                    I was sure that Saabs were imported into the US in the late fifties. I know there several old two stroke models around here. Enough that I doubt they were all brought in from Europe by individuals.
                    My wife and I had a 1973 Saab 96 that we used not only as a daily driver but also as our rally car. We competed in Time Speed Distance type rallies and had a blast. I put that car through many interesting situations without one problem. We even forded a few creeks on a couple of back woods camping trips. Great car. I also had an earlier Saab 95 (station wagon) that was a wonderful vehicle. Both had the V4 engine.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
                      I think SAABs were sold in the US in the late 50s.
                      Supposedly in 1958 750 GT was aimed specifically at the "growing US market."
                      I won't argue about the date. I could see Saab getting their start on the East Coast and work their way their way west, setting up a dealer organization. 1963 might have been the first year the entire U.S. market was covered with Saab dealers in every state.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X