Production order questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production order questions

I just received a production order for the 64 wagonaire daytona I'm working on and it's seems way off. first off it shows paint "golden sand" and I had the whole car apart and there was no sign of any golden sand paint anywhere. Everything indicated it was originally strato blue. The firewall was the blue and still had white factory production line numbers that were applied when car was built I would have to think. I even took pics of it in case I wanted to use a paint marker to re apply. The interior number on order is 841 BRC, anbody know what that is ? I realize a lot of things could have been changed over the years, but hard to imagine all this stuff could be wrong. Order shows disc brakes, car had drums, rear end shows twin tract, car does not have. Order shows 289 engine but it,s a 259. Of course I can see engine being changed, but seems odd rear end and brakes would have been also. The worst thing is the paint, something is definitely not right about that.

I believe BRC is brown cloth but cloth was never offered on wagon models. Sounds like an error with either the serial number or the SNM needs to have another look at it.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
      Sounds like an error with either the serial number or the SNM needs to have another look at it.
      I agree!

Does the engine number match? How about the body code. Yours should read 'P8'

Craig

Comment

I had that happen to me, they sent the WRONG Serial number Production Order!

Something is wrong for sure, there could not be THAT many errors!
        Better re-check the Serial Number on both the Car and the P.O.

Are the Factory welds on the Serial Number Plate undisturbed on the Door Post?
        Last edited by StudeRich; 02-29-2016, 08:08 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
          I just received a production order for the 64 wagonaire daytona I'm working on and it's seems way off. first off it shows paint "golden sand" and I had the whole car apart and there was no sign of any golden sand paint anywhere. Everything indicated it was originally strato blue. The firewall was the blue and still had white factory production line numbers that were applied when car was built I would have to think. I even took pics of it in case I wanted to use a paint marker to re apply. The interior number on order is 841 BRC, anbody know what that is ? I realize a lot of things could have been changed over the years, but hard to imagine all this stuff could be wrong. Order shows disc brakes, car had drums, rear end shows twin tract, car does not have. Order shows 289 engine but it,s a 259. Of course I can see engine being changed, but seems odd rear end and brakes would have been also. The worst thing is the paint, something is definitely not right about that.
          I just got my production order for my 62 GT as well. I was surprised with the color as well as it shows evidence of being red originally not white. Very happy to see that the car was originally sold in Texas. There has never been any major rust repairs and the undercoating is still mostly intact. Spending its life in Texas would explain that. What would the original 4bbl carb have been, a carter? It has a holley carb now but would like to get it back to original.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1704109

Comment

Kato, you need to look under the Door Panels for the Original White Paint, maybe inside the Liner structure of the Decklid or under the Carpet?

It does happen that a Car gets repainted everywhere inside and out but it is very rare that they don't leave some evidence somewhere of the Original Color.

The 4 Barrel would have been a Carter WCFB square bore.

Has your square bore Intake Manifold been opened up for larger Secondary Throttle Plates or replaced with a '63-'64 AFB Intake?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Serial number plates being swapped in Studebakers is rare, but not unheard of.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Were the serial numbers on the frame rear crossmember still used on the 62's and 64's ?
                If so, do they match ?
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Agreed, Calvin (OP), something isn't right; those are too many "wrongs."

Please post your Wagonaire's Serial Number here for a proof check....or PM me with it if you don't want to post it. Thanks. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

yeah, I think I'd go looking for the secret serial number on the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Kato, you need to look under the Door Panels for the Original White Paint, maybe inside the Liner structure of the Decklid or under the Carpet?

It does happen that a Car gets repainted everywhere inside and out but it is very rare that they don't leave some evidence somewhere of the Original Color.

The 4 Barrel would have been a Carter WCFB square bore.

Has your square bore Intake Manifold been opened up for larger Secondary Throttle Plates or replaced with a '63-'64 AFB Intake?
                      Yes I definitely will dig deeper to find evidence of the original Ermine White. There is evidence of it's previous red so I assumed it was red originally. You can see in the photo on the left inner fender some of the red before I touched it up.

I think the intake has been replaced with an after market version. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080458.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1704110 If I were to go back to a Carter AFB I assume I would also have to find an intake? I'm not happy with the Holley so perhaps a good Edelbrock would be a wiser choice? I will also have to confirm this is the original engine, or not. The previous owner told me this car had a 2 bbl carb prior to the Holley???

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Agreed, Calvin (OP), something isn't right; those are too many "wrongs."

Please post your Wagonaire's Serial Number here for a proof check....or PM me with it if you don't want to post it. Thanks. BP

The vin # is 64V7796 Number plate has original spot welds. Number matches registration info. Number on PO is correct. But if BRC is brown cloth that sure as hell isn't right. Interior was blue. No way somebody would have changed the dash pad etc. PO shows 64VY8 4218 8 cyl 4 door daytona

Comment

Another place to look for the original paint is on the back of the gas door. Unless the car has been completely apart, this is one of the most difficult places to reach when the car is painted. In fact it can create a huge mess and that's why it is often skipped! This is also a place to get a good match for the original color. It's always protected from UV fading.

Comment

Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
                            PO shows 64VY8 4218 8 cyl 4 door daytona
                            Oh oh..........a "Y8" designates a 4 door sedan, not a 4 door Wagonaire. The Wagonaire would have been a "P8". Look closer at your serial number plate on the drivers door post to see if it's been changed. Also look at the body number plate under the hood on the firewall (passenger side, up near the top) and see if it has a P8 or a Y8 on the top line, then compare the body number on the second line of the plate to the body number on the Production Order. Report back to us on what you find.
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                              Oh oh..........a "Y8" designates a 4 door sedan, not a 4 door Wagonaire. The Wagonaire would have been a "P8". Look closer at your serial number plate on the drivers door post to see if it's been changed. Also look at the body number plate under the hood on the firewall (passenger side, up near the top) and see if it has a P8 or a Y8 on the top line, then compare the body number on the second line of the plate to the body number on the Production Order. Report back to us on what you find.
                              The firewall tag is correct 64V - P8
                              Tag on door jamb was not altered, but it does not appear to have the P8 designation . It just has
                              the 64V 7796. Which is the same number used on the registration. I originally had the plate taped off when primering, but plate was scratched etc and looked like crap so I painted it when I painted the car. I can still read the numbers faintly and there is no P8 in that line. I thought the PO might be for a sedan.

Comment

Working...
                              X