My new truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new truck

This past weekend was the time that I finally got to go pick up my new truck. It was quite the adventure but we made it home safe and sound. Using a trailer we had used several times before my dad and I headed out early in the morning. Once we got there we found that the truck was about 4" too wide in the rear. The previous owner had added much wider tires and widened the fenders to accommodate. After some thinking and ingenuity we were able to get the truck on and secured. The pictures speak for themselves. This gives me a Studebaker to drive while I slowly continue forward on my Hawk. But I'm sure I'll be doing a few odds and ends on this one too.

Parked in it's new home. And now all my garage spaces are full....

Congratulations! Nice score. Love the color. It looks like some modifications have been made. How about a rundown on what's under the skin?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The story I got was it had a lot of work done back in the late 80's to the early 90's. New paint, lots of body work, rust repair etc. It is a 283 Chevy with a 5 speed. I would have liked to have the Stude V8 but everything else worked out on this truck so I went with it. The rear fenders were widened in some way to handle the wider wheel tire combo. No rust in the normal places, and just a little surface rust on the bottom and in some paint chips. That was a bonus for me as I didn't want to do much repair, I've got enough of that to do on my Hawk. It shows its age on the paint and the interior is 90's custom, not great to look at but it'll suffice for now. I'm just excited to have something to drive around and take to cruise ins and the like.

Comment

There's another Purple People Eater like yours for sale in Washington. Only it has a six. Nice truck. Hope you have a lot of fun with it.
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing it at this year's Tri-State, if not before!
          Mike Davis
          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Hoping to get the time to do an oil change soon and start getting it out on the road. Working with North Carolina to get the title transferred has been a little hassle. I had a title for the truck but because the VIN Tag had been removed and reinstalled with screws over the carpet that the previous owner added they won't give a clean NC title right away. Have to get a new NC issued vin number since they can't be 100% sure that VIN tag belongs to the truck. At least I can still drive it around while all that works through the system.

Comment

do Studebaker trucks have the "secret serial number" that can confirm the #?

i purchased all three of my Studebakers from out of state while living in Wilmington, NC. i had some grief when the NCDMV inspector checked my first one - the '63 Avanti (serial # is located on the frame left rear of the engine). she couldn't totally see 2 of the #'s, although the Florida title matched the rest of the serial number. i had to drive home and clean the area. i took it back the next day. she wasn't there and the new inspector took a glance and passed it with no problems. with the other 2 Studebakers, i waited around and let others go in front of me to get him to do the inspections.
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

My understanding was that the trucks do not have an extra serial number anywhere else. Really it isn't too big of a deal, the officer that did the inspection was very nice and tried to be as accommodating as he could. In the grand scheme of things it will probably just add 4-8 weeks to the time it takes to get a clean NC title so it isn't as bad as it could have been.

Comment

It was quite an adventure and the best part of it all was to watch Matt and his daughter take off in the truck to make a tour of the neighborhood once the truck was home and unloaded.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Matt, it looks very nice. I am sure you will enjoy your truck very much.
                    Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
                    65 Cruiser
                    64 Champ
                    40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

Wow!...a young guy who likes Studebakers. That's what we need more of.....
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Great looking truck,hope you'll get lots of enjoyment and wheel time !!!

Comment

Great to see your truck. No matter how long you keep it...some day, you will look back and wonder where the time went. When I bought my truck, I was young. Back then, had a little girl. She is the one in the picture below on the left. She also happens to be the mother of the little girl (my granddaughter) in the picture on the right...who is now in her first year in college.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jen55stude.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1704146 Click image for larger version

Name:	JORDAN55TRK.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1704147
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975