York Dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York Dates

Well I got a surprise today, and maybe I am not the only one. I called Phil at Fairborn so I could pick up some parts at York next weekend. Phil said guess you did not see that they moved it out a week and indeed I had not. He said that a number of people had been calling and also had not checked the dates. Unfortunately that takes me out of going all together. I remember a number of years ago they moved it from the last weekend in Feb to first weekend in March now we are to the second weekend!
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

It is listed right here on SDC chapter events page page...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/events.asp

Click image for larger version

Name:	York 2016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1704052

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
    Well I got a surprise today, and maybe I am not the only one. I called Phil at Fairborn so I could pick up some parts at York next weekend. Phil said guess you did not see that they moved it out a week and indeed I had not. He said that a number of people had been calling and also had not checked the dates. Unfortunately that takes me out of going all together. I remember a number of years ago they moved it from the last weekend in Feb to first weekend in March now we are to the second weekend!
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I know Jeff but sometimes you get into a routine that things happen at certain times, like Christmas, 4th of July, Hershey, Carlisle, York, Easter........., oops not York or Easter.
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Guys, It has been advertised WITH the date for 10 months in Turning Wheels. We also gave out color "postcards" with the date, list of events,and a picture of the raffle car with dates on both sides with every raffle ticket purchased. There were color flyers everywhere. The meet was moved one week ahead for two reasons. 1. The event venue had already booked the weekend. 2. We found that the RV show would be there the same week and felt that might be of far more interest to Studebaker attendees than the flower show . Also, with last year's snow, we felt weather might be more favorable. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE 2017 STUDEBAKER YORK SWAP MEET IS SCHEDULED FOR 3/9, 3/10/, AND 3/11 2017. Sorry for the fact that some may not be able to attend due to the date change, but it has been well advertised for over a year. Dan, sorry we will miss you. If possible try to make Friday evening events, you are not that far away, and it is going to be a hoot! PLEASE, all of you check the other threads here, and the website

Comment

By the way, Dan, the meet was always the first weekend in March, however when we changed to Thurs through Sat. instead of Fri, through Sun., we moved the date so that the majority of the event would occur the first week in March. Gordon

Comment

Hey guys I take full responsibility for not looking up the date and making the assumption that it was next weekend. However, as Phil noted I was not the first one calling and found out that it had changed. I have a Boy Scout campout I am scheduled to be the Scoutmaster so can't make it this year. Got it down on my calendar for next year though. It would have been kind of like the Griswolds showing up at Wally World and finding out it was closed for repairs!
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
              Hey guys I take full responsibility for not looking up the date and making the assumption that it was next weekend. However, as Phil noted I was not the first one calling and found out that it had changed. I have a Boy Scout campout I am scheduled to be the Scoutmaster so can't make it this year. Got it down on my calendar for next year though. It would have been kind of like the Griswolds showing up at Wally World and finding out it was closed for repairs!
              Don't feel like the "Lone Stranger" about this Dan. I have posted about attending, but if I did, it would have to be a "last minute" decision. That was due to a bunch of other obligations I am tasked with. Then...this morning when I booted up my computer, my calendar popped up a reminder that my VA doctor's appointment is mid-morning that Friday. Even with my calendar, I hadn't kept it straight.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by larkregal62 View Post
                Guys, It has been advertised WITH the date for 10 months in Turning Wheels. We also gave out color "postcards" with the date, list of events,and a picture of the raffle car with dates on both sides with every raffle ticket purchased. There were color flyers everywhere. The meet was moved one week ahead for two reasons. 1. The event venue had already booked the weekend. 2. We found that the RV show would be there the same week and felt that might be of far more interest to Studebaker attendees than the flower show . Also, with last year's snow, we felt weather might be more favorable. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE 2017 STUDEBAKER YORK SWAP MEET IS SCHEDULED FOR 3/9, 3/10/, AND 3/11 2017. Sorry for the fact that some may not be able to attend due to the date change, but it has been well advertised for over a year. Dan, sorry we will miss you. If possible try to make Friday evening events, you are not that far away, and it is going to be a hoot! PLEASE, all of you check the other threads here, and the website
                www.sdckeystoneregion.com
                Here is the information for 2017, and it is already for listing in What's Happening in Turning Wheels.
                PENNSYLVANIA, 9th-11th, York, the Keystone Region SDC again hosts the Studebaker Swap Meet at the fairgrounds. Website: www.sdckeystoneregion.com/index.php.

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Not sure why this show is Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I missed going because of work. It would be nice to have it Friday through Sunday. Maybe I'll be able to go next year.

Comment

It used to be Friday - Sunday but has changed.

Originally posted by ratchamp61 View Post
                    Not sure why this show is Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I missed going because of work. It would be nice to have it Friday through Sunday. Maybe I'll be able to go next year.
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by ratchamp61 View Post
                      The advance of the York dates is a response to the reality of human nature. The show used to be Fri-Sun, with Fri set aside for set up. But there was no way to prevent the vendors from using that day to cherry pick each other's best stuff, or to prevent others like me from dropping in on Friday to do the same thing. And attendance dropped off on Sunday as the vendors used that day to pack up and drive home. The Keystone Chapter tried to encourage attendance and interest in Sunday by offering prizes that were only awarded if you were present to win -- but to no avail. After a few years, some of the vendors started packing up late on Sat afternoon to avoid paying for another night's lodging -- and started asking to be allowed to set up on Thursday. Given that most of the vendors were amateurs, it did make sense that Sunday be converted to a a pack-up-and-drive-home day, so the show officially became Thu-Sat. And now (guess what?), the place is half empty by noon on Sat as the vendors start packing up. And some smaller ones attend only on Friday to avoid an extra night in the hotel. Time marches on.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X