Cheap Avanti???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Avanti???

It's been said that a cheap Avanti will incur the highest cost in the end...

It's almost tempting...

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
    It's been said that a cheap Avanti will incur the highest cost in the end...

It's almost tempting...

That car would be costly to restore. Interior and dash would have you upside down. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

If you can do the work yourself, you would need about $20,000 to put it to rights. If you did this you would have a very desirable car worth $25,000 - $30,000 or more depending on the quality of the work. If you can't do the work, you could easily double the investment. Regardless of the naysayers, it really doesn't cost much more to restore an Avanti than it does other automobiles. Try restoring any of the other halo Studebaker cars such as a 55 Speedster! That being said, as with any car, if you can get one that someone already did the hard work at a good price, you would be farther ahead.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I thought you meant this '79 Avanti II, it TRULY IS a Cheap Avanti:

That we all know is really a Very expensive Avanti!

Last edited by StudeRich; 02-25-2016, 01:26 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

But, it does have an 8-track stereo!<G>

Comment

not very cheap at that price!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

If you want an Avanti, stick to the Studebaker ones. For no good reason, non-Studebaker ones are not worth much - even completely restored. I usually treat non-Stude Avantis as parts cars. I do have a 78 that is in pretty good shape and I plan on making minor repairs and driving it. I paid less than $2000 for that one.

The interior can be redone for about $3000. That includes a rebuilt dash, new upholstery and carpet.

Once again, a 4spd R2 is very desirable and good examples have been bringing good prices even on ebay. So if you can do your own work, it would be a good project. In any case, I would still try to get the price down.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I think that R2 car has had an engine fire and then sat for a while. Looking at the peeled paint and rusted parts in the engine bay, plus the melted dash and mirror bracket are the clues I see. Would make all the wiring suspect as well.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I don't think that you can have an engine fire without damage to the hood. It looks like a car that sat outside in the southern sun a long time waiting for someone to get around to restoring it.

Comment

Got $30-35K to invest plus the $9999? Go for it! You'll have a great looking and fast running $25-30k car. To some of us, it's worth it.
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

I found the link to that Avanti on another site, I would call it a walk away and fast.
                      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by jd-stude View Post
                        I don't think that you can have an engine fire without damage to the hood. It looks like a car that sat outside in the southern sun a long time waiting for someone to get around to restoring it.
                        If the hood was open when it caught fire, that would explain it. And the rusty chrome could come from efforts to put it out.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                          If you can do the work yourself, you would need about $20,000 to put it to rights. If you did this you would have a very desirable car worth $25,000 - $30,000 or more depending on the quality of the work. If you can't do the work, you could easily double the investment. Regardless of the naysayers, it really doesn't cost much more to restore an Avanti than it does other automobiles. Try restoring any of the other halo Studebaker cars such as a 55 Speedster! That being said, as with any car, if you can get one that someone already did the hard work at a good price, you would be farther ahead.
                          Amen. Exactly what I did and very glad.
                          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

10K for a builder car needing everything is pretty steep in my books, but the '79 looks like a real value.
                            There is also a rough R2 on CL in the Dallas area for a grand, but all R2 parts axc the block are missing along with a ton
                            of other parts...

Comment

As my father always said, "Start with the best you can find and afford... NOT the cheapest!"

Comment

Working...
                              X