How many 38 State Commanderssurvive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many 38 State Commanderssurvive?

Does anyone know how many 1937 - 1942 State Commanders are still around? Where would I begin to find the information? The reason I ask is it is a question on a shows entry form I am thinking of entering. My 38 is suppose to be a survivor and is in fairly decent condition. The mechanical systems have all been updated but original paint and interior. The hood had been repainted but that is all. If any one has info it would be appreciated. Dave S

What do you mean by mechanical systems updated?

Comment

The engine has been reworked -new valves, rings, bearings, pistons and rods. Transmission rebuilt, clutch redone, fly wheel resurfaced, brakes redone and new brake lines, master cylinder as well as wheel cylinders rebuilt. differential/wheel bearings redone. Radiator and heater core redone and water pump rebuilt. Wiring replace with NOS wiring. Basically anything that is involved with the drive train has been redone so it runs like new. The body has not been touched or repainted except the hood which was peeling after sitting in a barn for 40 years or so. Buffed the paint out and no rust to deal with - not even the floor boards showed rust.

Comment

No real way to tell how many Commanders in that six year period (no Commanders were built in '37 - Dictator instead). The term "State" was not used after '38. For certain however a few hundred and probably a lot more than that. Not rare at all for Studebakers.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

About five years ago I contacted a company in San Diego which informed me as to how many Sky Hawks were registered. Can't tell you the name of the company now as I don't have that info handy.
          peter lee

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the info.

Comment

Larry Warner, a friend of mine (who passed away several years ago) owned a really nice '38 Commander State Convertible Sedan.

An extremely rare body style, Larry acquired the car from someone in New Zealand, I believe, and then had it converted to LHD here in the U.S.

Possibly, SDC'er and another friend of mine, George Vassos, still owns it now.

Comment

Working...
              X