• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery bargain Avanti

Sounds like a cheap Avanti for Parts

I would love to see a picture.

pb

The ad leaves one with lots of questions. Is it written by someone looking to scam me or by a widow whom knows nothing about cars and just wants it gone. If I had room I would be tempted to gamble a bit.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

There was a turquoise Avanti on Craigslist late last year. It was in western NY and was fairly complete but the frame was extremely rotted. They had pulled the front suspension out trying to move it from a wooded area in their back yard. They also spelled Studebaker as Studabaker. It was a shame because it was mostly there and could have been an ambitious restoration.

Comment

I think the key here is to be sure to do all your finance exchanges on the purchase through ebay and paypal. You'll pay a little extra in fees, but you'll have a very safe bet with your money.
        sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
          I think the key here is to be sure to do all your finance exchanges on the purchase through ebay and paypal. You'll pay a little extra in fees, but you'll have a very safe bet with your money.
          You are forgetting about going to Queens to complete the transaction and to pick up the remains. If it was within 100 miles of me in another direction, I would gamble on it. The seller has had no eBay transactions in more than a year.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If I WERE to drive there and pick it up, I'd have 3 more guys with me and we'd all be armed...

Comment

This does make you wonder about the education level of some of the current Generation of "Cell Texters"!

"i do not have any paperwork for this car.Carhave original motor and transmision it is on wheels not drivebil nose,dors an back of the car is all there i dont have picture."
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Did it occur to You this Person may be from a different part of the World Rich,and could be You're Age/Generation for all You know You may want to go back and Spell Check Your Post and bring it up to Standards .

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                This does make you wonder about the education level of some of the current Generation of "Cell Texters"!

"i do not have any paperwork for this car.Carhave original motor and transmision it is on wheels not drivebil nose,dors an back of the car is all there i dont have picture."
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Ozone park in NYC is in a middle class neighborhood according to Google if that helps any body .just my two cents worth. Rw
                  rawise

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                    If I WERE to drive there and pick it up, I'd have 3 more guys with me and we'd all be armed...
                    I dig this fer sher. Some parts of the Bronx are very different from when my relatives used to frequent it.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I know what it looks like, but many of the folks I deal with on craigslist are similar. Its not education, its just a bit of laziness as they place their ads via the iphone. They use texting shortcuts, or just don't really care about punctuation for this sort of thing. Its amazing how many times I show up in response to an ad like one of these and the seller is living in some upper middle class neighborhood and is quite accomplished otherwise. But, that being said, on this one... do like desoto said, and go with some big friends... all packin heat.
                      sals54

Comment

Sounds like a scam. Posting pictures is not that hard. A 6 year old could do it.
                        I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

you guys are right he or she could at least put in three pictures from there cell phone
                          Last edited by wise raymond; 02-17-2016, 05:39 AM. Reason: spell
                          rawise

Comment

Originally posted by wise raymond View Post
                            you guys are write he or she could at least put in three pictures from there cell phone
                            "right".....before grammar nazis jump all over you.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

laughing out loud , thank you very much
                              rawise

Comment

Working...
                              X