What is this dang thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: What is this dang thing?

So, I have been slowly tinkering with my Lark and trying to get it running steady and reliably.
    The original 2 barrel carb was rebuilt/regasketed but all the moving parts were worn out.
    I couldn't make it idle no matter how many adjustments I did to it. I already had a 4 barrel intake and a new Edelbrock so I enlarged the holes in the manifold and mounted everything up.
    The thing that you see circled was hooked to the back of my stock 2 barrel stromberg WW.
    I figured it was some sort of PCV valve so I hooked it up to my edelbrock (front) too.
    It ran better right away but it wouldn't idle at all still. It bogged down and flooded out.
    I thought maybe the coil was weak so I replaced it too. It was a little better but still wouldnt idle.
    I pinched off the big vacuum hose that goes to the thing that is circled and it immediately started idling on its own.
    It idles really well now.
    What the heck is that thing and what do I do with it?
    Attached Files

Your right ,its a pcv valve.It is letting an excess or not enough air from the crankcase into the carb.This is messing up the fuel-air mix.it will needs to be replaced.Thay do wear out allso stop up.

Comment

Oh, ok so its stuck open then.
      I guess I have to search for one.

Comment

You might be able to get it to work properly by squirting some carb cleaner through it. It should only allow the passage of air in one direction.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

It is a vacuum line port that runs to an in-line pcv valve.
          If you just hooked it up to your AFB, you would have a huge vacuum leak.
          Just get an inline pcv from your flaps and install it (with the correct flow orientation)
          You could look it all up with Stude numbers, but this was an early pollution mandate
          and all the parts came from the aftermarket (AC/Delco, etc).
          No big deal.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The KEY Word here is Adapter FITTING! It is only for connecting a 3/8 In. PCV Hose to it from the Crankcase, which must contain the "PCV Valve" before flowing "TO" the Carb.

This is all the same concept as ALL Brands of '60's Engines had.
            So it is NOT a PCV Valve as noted in Post #2 & #4.

So what matters to you Ryan, is without the Restriction of the PCV Valve, Engines can not run, or run correctly.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-14-2016, 02:55 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There should be two connections to the motor by the vent system.

It looks like there is one in the oil filler tube which would be the second, unless it has a vented cap.

One is connected to the PCV valve which is plumbed to the carb base, the other goes to filtered air.

Comment

I couldn't make it to my FLAPS so I had to settle for my LAPS and they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for an inline PCV valve.
                I'll just order one online and save diesel by staying home.

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                It is a vacuum line port that runs to an in-line pcv valve.
                If you just hooked it up to your AFB, you would have a huge vacuum leak.
                Just get an inline pcv from your flaps and install it (with the correct flow orientation)
                You could look it all up with Stude numbers, but this was an early pollution mandate
                and all the parts came from the aftermarket (AC/Delco, etc).
                No big deal.

Comment

Understood and agreed
                  Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  The KEY Word here is Adapter FITTING! It is only for connecting a 3/8 In. PCV Hose to it from the Crankcase, which must contain the "PCV Valve" before flowing "TO" the Carb.

This is all the same concept as ALL Brands of '60's Engines had.
                  So it is NOT a PCV Valve as noted in Post #2 & #4.

So what matters to you Ryan, is without the Restriction of the PCV Valve, Engines can not run, or run correctly.

Comment

Working...
                  X