Studebaker-related shipping crate available in Seattle CL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker-related shipping crate available in Seattle CL

Someone is selling a shipping crate in the Seattle Craig's List that was once used to send ball bearings from the Marlin-Rockwell factory to Studebaker.

Mark L

That is one heck of a Large supply of Supercharger element Drive Balls!

Really, where else can you think of that Studebaker would use a Ball Bearing?
    They used almost exclusively tapered Roller Bearings for everything.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,

I believe that this packing crate is possibly far older then you imagine! For one thing Marlin-Rockwell was purchased by TRW in 1964. I doubt the container is even from the Post War era. You are correct that ball bearings were not used much in PW autos, but not so in PW manufacture, especially teens and twenties. The reason that I believe this is pre war, is the lack of a Zip code in the shipping address. The Zip code first came into common usage in 1963, but this shipping address doesn't even contain a city postal code, and postal codes came into general usage in 1943. I think that a company like Studebaker certainly would have used the code after 1943.

Comment

Studebaker didn't supply supercharger drive balls, they were sourced from McCulloch, and later Paxton . Paxton of course became a subsidiary of the corporation.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Remember that Studebaker built military vehicles and equipment also. These ball bearings might have been destined for that purpose instead of consumer automobiles.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
          X