Studes @ 2016 Indianapolis World of Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes @ 2016 Indianapolis World of Wheels

The 2016 Indianapolis World of Wheels was as big as ever; three adjoining buildings at The Indiana State Fairgrounds. Weather was cold outside (teens digits) but clear and sunny with no snow/precipitation issues; pretty good for Indianapolis in early February.

Studebaker was represented with three vehicles: Lanny Bertram's 1963 factory R2/4-speed Lark Custom, Randy & Cathy McCune's 1960 Hawk, and a C-cab Pickup that was being built by an area vocational shop high school as a project.

I said the C-Cab "was being built" because it isn't quite done; it needs a grille....or at least needed one; now past tense!

Indy Chapter SDC to the rescue! Indy Chapter member Howe Clark by chance encountered the very Shop Teacher(!) in charge of the project, who was eating lunch at The Pit Stop restaurant here in Brownsburg just before our Indy Chapter's January meet & eat there a couple weeks ago. Howe hooked up the teacher with another of our chapter members, Dave Elmore, who said he had a serviceable C-cab grille they could have for the taking , so the truck will likely have one in short order. Thanks, Dave!

On With the Show:

Lanny Bertram and his 1963 Lark Custom display. Nicely done; a real credit to Our Favorite Marque:

(After I took the above photo, Lanny looked over and said, "OMG, I don't have the battery hold-down wing nuts aligned right!" )

Randy & Cathy McCune's 1960 Hawk from Anderson IN. I waited around to talk to Randy about SDC, as he is not a member, but he never got "unbusy" long enough, thankfully, as there was much interest in his Hawk. I was going to go back but later talked to Lanny Bertram and Lanny said he had conversed with Randy about SDC earlier , so there was no need to make what was a long return trip from Lanny's car to Randy's Hawk.

The High School Shop Project C-Cab truck. Cool beans!

Finally, there's something to be said for this attendee's "orientation" to the world. Many of us can relate.

Overall, a nice show, as The Indianapolis World of Wheels always is. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-13-2016, 04:20 PM. Reason: added battery hold-down note
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Yes, no doubt IT REALLY IS difficult being a 6 Volt guy living in a 12 Volt world!!

Comment

Bob, thanks for sharing the Studes on display with us Forum devotees.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Thanks for stopping by Bob. And thanks for validating our Stude info. We try to educate folks about Studes but want to be correct when we do so. We ended up with a second place win. First place went to a '65 4-4-2 being shown by a restoration shop in Wisconsin. The owner was not there but the car was beautiful.
        Joe Bacon hit the nail on the head when he told me "It always snows at that show". Ill timed 2" snowfall caused everyone to load up inside the building. Teardown started promptly at 6pm. We left the building at 11:06pm. A concert, in the Coliseum next door, also let out at 11pm. Yikes what a mess! But overall we had a wonderful time.
        Last edited by Lanny Bertram; 02-15-2016, 09:01 AM.
        sigpic
        Lanny & Barb Bertram
        '63 Lark Custom R2 4spd
        Indy Chapter SDC since 2000
        Weaverville, NC

Comment

Originally posted by Lanny Bertram View Post
          We try to educate folks about Studes but want to be correct when we do so. Joe Bacon hit the nail on the head when he told me "It always snows at that show". Ill timed 2" snowfall cause everyone to load up inside the building.
          Good work, Lenny.

Your information sign is well done and informative.

I, for one will never understand why these shows such as this have to be held so early, or so late in the year, despite them being indoors. Ideally, late March, or early October would be a better time to have WoW, MCACN, etc., when there is less threat of snow or very cold temperatures making the trip there and back unpleasant.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, February weather in Indy is a crap-shoot with loaded dice at best. Today it's going to 42 degrees. But we had a great time.
            sigpic
            Lanny & Barb Bertram
            '63 Lark Custom R2 4spd
            Indy Chapter SDC since 2000
            Weaverville, NC

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Good work, Lenny.

Your information sign is well done and informative.

I, for one will never understand why these shows such as this have to be held so early, or so late in the year, despite them being indoors. Ideally, late March, or early October would be a better time to have WoW, MCACN, etc., when there is less threat of snow or very cold temperatures making the trip there and back unpleasant. Craig
              Craig, I believe these shows are held when they are because they make more money doing so, and there's nothing wrong with that. Shows of this nature are businesses first and car shows second, although Bob Ashton and his wife's devotion to The Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals proceeds from a sincere, exemplary interest in, and love of, those cars.

Holding them this time of year is excellent business strategy: It assures the promoters that people are indoors with cabin fever, not occupied with a dozen out-of-doors activities, undoubtedly wanting to get out of the house and "do something" to ward off winter doldrums. (After all, not everyone can be on the SDC Forum this time of year, so they might not have anywhere to complain about how unhappy they are and why someone else is responsible for their unhappiness because "someone else" will not praise their intellect and honor their definition as the most enlightened one imaginable, of exactly how the car hobby should be pursued... ...but I digress... )

The Indianapolis World of Wheels is always packed with paying spectators even though it is huge and laid out with adequate aisles. At about $17 per head for adults and $6 for kids, with slight advance-sale discount tickets having been available all week at O'Reilly's Auto Parts, $$$ you $$$ do $$$ the $$$ math $$$! By the time I left about 2PM Saturday afternoon, movement through the aisles was slow and crowded; shoulder-to-shoulder wherever you went. That's why I was there when it opened at 10:00AM, so I could leave when I knew it would be crowded. (My grandson will be 7 years old next year and I plan to take him for the first time. Given the cornucopia of wheeled "everything" at this show, I'm going to enjoy seeing what attracts his attention.)

Simply put, holding this show, or any other of its type this time of year, assures maximum paid attendance even though it's a bit inconvenient for the exhibitors...or can be, if the weather doesn't co-operate. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanny Bertram View Post
                Thanks for stopping by Bob. And thanks for validating our Stude info. We try to educate folks about Studes but want to be correct when we do so.

We ended up with a second place win. First place went to a '65 4-4-2 being shown by a restoration shop in Wisconsin. The owner was not there but the car was beautiful.

Joe Bacon hit the nail on the head when he told me "It always snows at that show". Ill-timed 2" snowfall caused everyone to load up inside the building. Teardown started promptly at 6PM. We left the building at 11:06PM. A concert in the Coliseum next door also let out at 11PM. Yikes what a mess! But overall we had a wonderful time.
                HOLY SMOKES, Lenny; you guys got a second right after that beautiful dark green 1965 4-4-2?

Here it is. It was indeed a well-done, professional restoration:

Many congratulations: There must have been dozens of cars in your class; for you to place second right after that gorgeous 4-4-2 is super!

Thanks so much for your and Barb's flying the Studebaker banner. BP

Comment

Bob, I appreciate 100% what you are saying, but note my time window. Late March & early October are not usually favorable to outdoor car activities, and would still hold high attendance numbers for indoor venues.

A year ago, a few of the big-ticket appearances that were supposed to be at the Calgary World of Wheels, were unable to attend due to inclement weather elsewhere in the country.

Thankfully the intense snow in Chicago held off on the Thursday/Friday setup day on the MCACN weekend, but it apparently affected spectator attendance on the Saturday/Sunday.

Craig
                  Last edited by 8E45E; 02-15-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Bob, I appreciate 100% what you are saying, but note my time window. Late March & early October are not usually favorable to outdoor car activities, and would still hold high attendance numbers for indoor venues.

A year ago, a few of the big-ticket appearances that were supposed to be at the Calgary World of Wheels, were unable to attend due to inclement weather elsewhere in the country.

Thankfully the intense snow in Chicago held off on the Thursday/Friday setup day on the MCACN weekend, but it apparently affected spectator attendance on the Saturday/Sunday. Craig
                    You're right, Craig; no time is perfect, of course. It also has to do with the climate; the further north you go, the smaller a summertime window you have to compete with outdoor activities.

In central Indiana, people are starting to get out and about in late March for early gardening and sports activities. Early October is also still pleasant enough, again, for outdoor activities, especially football and car shows and events such as The Newport Indiana Antique Auto Hill Climb, so participation in an indoor event would be reduced during those times...but in your locale and further north, those times would be more appropriate.

And, of course, the promoters have to hope for good enough weather that spectators can get to the show; an extreme blizzard or snowstorm will knock the whole event in the head, both spectators and exhibitors! BP

Comment

The Calgary World of Wheels kicks off tomorrow, Friday, February 19th. Today was move-in day, with a total of six Studebakers from the Foothills Chapter, and another two from the Edmonton Chapter.

Some photos after we got the vehicles in place:

After the Friday opening to the general public. The Foothills Chapter invested in two of the 12' tall upright feather-banners for this show, and they are clearly visible from the viewing windows in the covered elevated walkway that runs alongside the south end of the Round-Up Center from the light rail transit station.

The awards night was Saturday evening

Five out of six Foothills Chapter members won class awards. The only Studebaker that did not win an award was the '52 convertible which had to be entered into the 'custom' class because of non-stock wheels, where the competition was fierce, competing against plenty of trailer queens.

Congrats also to Mike P. from the Edmonton Chapter who won a 1st place in his class:

I will try and post more as the show gets underway. As I read, the Milwaukee World of Wheels is also this same weekend. Are there any from Wisconsin who are attending?

And Chicago's is coming up on March 5th, and I suspect a Studebaker or two will be in that one.

Craig
                      Last edited by 8E45E; 02-22-2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X