This little Hardtop brings back memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This little Hardtop brings back memories

Just like the Lark I bought new in 60 from Mount Greenwood Motors on Chicago's Southside Wore it out showing its taillights to Fords and Chevies Only real difference was mine had a tan vinyl interior. If this car goes back on the market again, I got to have it.

I have got to find a 60 Lark Hardtop VIII. Oasis Green would be nice.

Comment

That was a Very Good looking one Ken, it did have a replacement Serial Number Plate though.

Some people "say" they removed it for paint and "Lost" it, others say it was missing when they got it, some say it was too damaged to save, others re-body their frame, some may have converted a 6 to an 8, and a few might re-serialize a Car they can't get a clear Title to for honest reasons and who knows what other reasons?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Honest... In 1974 I bought a black 1959 Lark VIII 2-dr HT with a 259 V-8, 4V carb, dual exhaust and auto trans from a little old maid lady school teacher. She bought it brand new in 1959 from Bush Oldsmobile and Pontiac in Lenoir, NC. I paid a whopping $275. When I got the car it only had 54k original miles and had been sitting awhile due to a bad water-pump. I got her fixed, tuned up, repainted and had some interior work done. That was a beautiful and fast little car. I was VERY proud of it. I sold it to a friend in 1981 and have regretted that sale ever since.
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

How many 1960 Hardtops are left. There seem to be more convertibles than hardtops everywhere I look. I'm still in the market for a 60 Hardtop. Original in restorable condition or totally restored. I wish now I wouldn't have been snoozing and loosing out when The Happycarz Lark was first on the market. I just found another earlier add for this same Lark in the Chicago area. I would like to be the only Studebaker Lark at the car shows in Texas.
          I would trade my 83 Cherokee Laredo in a minute for a 60 Lark HardtopClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1995.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1703845
          Last edited by KEN IN TEXAS; 02-13-2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

All this little Lark needs is an optional Stude clock to complete that 'dashing dash'!

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich;973005]That was a Very Good looking one Ken, it did have a replacement Serial Number Plate though.

Bogus serial number plates are always a 'Red Flag'!

Comment

Need an early Lark hardtop? Northwest Chapter member has a '60, White Sand, V-8 automatic, driver in fair unrestored condition. 503-397-5542 St. Helens, Oregon asking $4000.00
                Or, on Salem Oregon craigslist, a '59 V-8, was Tahiti Coral but has been repainted Black. Previously owned by local chapter member, was a good running and driving car. Asking $5500.00.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                    Honest... In 1974 I bought a black 1959 Lark VIII 2-dr HT with a 259 V-8, 4V carb, dual exhaust and auto trans from a little old maid lady school teacher. She bought it brand new in 1959 from Bush Oldsmobile and Pontiac in Lenoir, NC. I paid a whopping $275. When I got the car it only had 54k original miles and had been sitting awhile due to a bad water-pump. I got her fixed, tuned up, repainted and had some interior work done. That was a beautiful and fast little car. I was VERY proud of it. I sold it to a friend in 1981 and have regretted that sale ever since.
                    This sounds very similar to one that I had. It was a white 1959 Lark hardtop, V8, AT, red vinyl interior. I bought it in about the late 1970s from the original owner (through an intermediary). She had given up driving due to age. The car had 27K miles on it. I had it and my white 1964 Avanti at the same time (I also had a white 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special that made a real contrast in 1959s.). A local SDC guy wanted my Avanti, but waited to tell me until after I sold it to someone else (another life SDCer). The initial guy ended up buying the 1959. AFAIK, he still has it. I ask about it every time that I see him. It is one car that I would buy back (something that I RARELY do - a 1953 Commander Starliner is the only other one that comes to mind).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                      Invested $8100, plus has done all the hard work and is asking $5500. That's the way of the collector car world these days.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                        Need an early Lark hardtop? Northwest Chapter member has a '60, White Sand, V-8 automatic, driver in fair unrestored condition. 503-397-5542 St. Helens, Oregon asking $4000.00
                        Or, on Salem Oregon craigslist, a '59 V-8, was Tahiti Coral but has been repainted Black. Previously owned by local chapter member, was a good running and driving car. Asking $5500.00.
                        I neglected to mention the Salem craigslist car is a three speed with overdrive.

Comment

My uncle, Bill Arway, had a 59 Lark equipped much like this one & spoke how fast it was! Funny thing about it he was the driver's ed teacher & assistant principal at Dover High in Dover, N.J. He's still alive as far as I know. Lost track of him since he moved to Florida. I have vague memories of the car & only one picture of it. I think my wife has it on a disc of old pictures so I'd need her to find it.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Nice Car!....
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Here I am in 1961 in front of my Mom's green Lark, just like the one for sale:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring 1961 - Paul with Lark.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1703866

Here is the same car with some damage from an accident when a man ran a stop sign, I was in the car with my Mom. The pic was taken at the family's Studebaker/Mercedes Benz dealership. It got fixed and my Mom drove it for a few more years until she got a '64 Challenger 4-door.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	img627 resized as jpeg.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1703867
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                              X