Drive Away Kit - Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Away Kit - Suggestions

I am anxiously awaiting my first full summer season with my 62GT that I bought last August. I am still getting to know the car but I fully intend on driving it as much as possible including some longer trips of 3 or 4 hours away from home. I know it would be wise to have a "drive away" kit with items that may come in handy should a break down occur away from home. I have a spare starter on the way and I know a set of belts would be useful but what do those of you seasoned folks carry with you when on the road? The car has Petronix ignition,Turner disc brakes, a Holley carb but still has the original generator and is otherwise stock. Has anyone put together a "check list" they use for longer trips? As a pilot I like check lists!
    Hoping to go to York so am putting together a wish list! Thanks all!

I carry extra bulbs for headlights, (I have halogen headlamps) tail/brake lights, spare fuse, water pump, front wheel bearing set, seals & grease mechanical R2 fuel pump, "U" joint set. Also I have an electric fuel pump with clip leads and some fuel hose & fittings in case I can't or don't want to replace the mech pump on the side of the road. For long trips I carry an extra alternator and a rear axle hub puller just in case. A multimeter is also a must. I have to admit, I've never had to use any of this stuff on a trip or tour, but I feel better having it. Maybe somebody else will need it, you never know when you get a bunch of old Studebakers together. Be sure to keep you battery charged with a float charger when not regularly driving your Hawk, it will save much wear & tear on the generator and charging system during starts after being parked for a while.

Comment

Kato.... 3 to 4 hours on a drive is nothing if you have prepared your car well...and it sounds like you are almost there.
      There is really no need to carry a spare everything if you are just cruising around Ontario, we have members all over the place with the knowledge and sometimes parts to help someone out if necessary....a good reason to be a member of the SDC. SDC Ontario members regularly drive 2-3 hours one way just to get together for lunch, I'm sure this holds true for many other chapters as well.
      Instead of spares, why not have the starter and generator looked at and rebuilt if necessary, replace all the items that may cause issues in hot driving weather....rad hoses, heater hoses, brake hoses...anything with hose in the description.
      Then get a roster from SI, a cell phone and a membership with CAA and drive the wheels off it. The Badenoch meet is coming up in the spring, start there.
      Hope to see you out there.

Bill
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Something to replace, if you haven't already, are the flex brake lines. Do it now and you will most likely never have to worry about them again. Have one burst during a panic stop and....well, hope for the best.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Water Pump, Gasket, (4) Copper sealing Washers and Permatex

Fuel Pump

Fan and P/S Belts

Oil Pressure Gauge Flex Hose

Cap and Rotor

A Spare Pertronix Unit

Gen. Brush Springs and Brushes

Engine Oil, Type "F" ATF and a gallon of 50/50 Mixed Antifreeze.

Tools

Fire Extinguisher

Highway Flares

Good Spare Tire

A small Hydraulic Jack with a couple 2X4's and a 4X4 for blocking the Front Wheels or under the Jack.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What Captain Billy said.
            Then go through Studerichs list and replace items 1 - 6.
            Always carry items 9- 13.
            Oil and ATF are handy to carry.
            After using, replace at your leisure.
            Install the flow through electric fuel pump.
            That will eliminate having to install it some cold dark night on the road.
            [make sure the mech pump diaphram is not broken before you attempt to use it.]
            THEN, needed spares, water, fuel pump, pertronix unit.
            Then, any spares you think that could be of use to another Stude owner in case of his emergency.
            The most important things to carry aren't part of the car.
            Large plastic bag [to lay on under the car]
            Cell phone
            Studebaker Roster
            Credit Card
            AAA card [CAA to you]
            Patience and a sense of humor
            Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 02-12-2016, 11:20 AM.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

LOL, this is a great thread! Yeah, that last bit by the Prez is a good one! Patience and a good sense of humour are essential when driving a classic. However it sounds like you've done a sufficiently good job with the car that it should perform as new at this point. Still a lot of good suggestions. Think I'll bookmark this conversation.
              Check list! Sounds like my Dad! Good idea though.
              If you are going to make any long trips, over night and beyond, consider a small trailer for the luggage... or the "in case" stuff. There are a lot of really cool little utility trailers out there, many that are quite secure.
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

following all the suggestions above you need heavy duty rear springs or a truck !

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  following all the suggestions above you need heavy duty rear springs or a truck !
                  Just what I was thinking! Not to mention poorer gas mileage as a result of taking your garage with you!

Comment

I carry a Water pump, fuel pump, spare distributor, small tool box of tools, cell phone, Auto Club Card and credit card! When you buy brake hoses, check the date codes on the hose! (mine are 7/2015 right now) I have black braided oil pressure lines, which will probably outlast us all, (unless they sustain a self inflicted wound) Be sure that ALL the bearings have been recently packed, including the rear, belts, coolant etc can be bought at a local flaps, water pumps, fuel pumps can not. I carry a spare rebuilt dist. only for ease. cell phone when you need to make a call to the Auto Club!

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

With all of the excellent advice provided here I would only add one additional possibility and that is to carry a spare axle as they are known to fail on occasion. I will be carrying one when I drive from TX to RI in June.

Comment

I used to carry a spare axle with bearing attached, and quite a bit of other odds and ends under the back seat of my Wagonaire. Kinda liked the idea of that weight being ahead of the rear wheels.

Comment

Three or four hours is not a long trip. If you are thinking about all that stuff you better get something for ulcers too. This is what my trunk looks like when I go. LOL

Comment

My theory is that if your car will go 20 miles then it will go 200. When I go to South Bend (1000 miles
                            each way) I carry a little plastic tool box with some basic hand tools along with oil and some anti-freeze.

Comment

LOL, Yeah, this can get out of hand. However, I would rather tow a small trailer rather than mess with an overloaded trunk. But yeah, Paul's point is a good one. After going to so much trouble as to rebuild one of these cars, it's about time to trust the poor thing to do its job. LOL, otherwise, put a hitch on it and pull a small trailer. ?It's easier on the car.
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X