1953 studebaker champion 4 door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 studebaker champion 4 door

I have a four door champion all original with a flathead and a three speed with overdrive I am trying to find out if it is custom - a deluxe or a regal any information would be appreciated. The vin is g1204682

Under the hood on the passenger side of the firewall near the hood hinge is a metal tag that will read "14G W_".

Fill in the blank (which will be a numeral '1', '3', or '5') after the 'W' and we can certainly help you.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig I will check that will have the car at my house Saturday

Comment

I am also interested, I have a '54 - 4 door sedan with the tag W-3 which I believe is deluxe trim, also there is a four digit number 9485 that I have no reference for. The paint is believed to be Azore Green for that year. The 53 models were Chippewa green and comparing the paint chips I can't see the difference. This model has stainless trim around the front and rear glass and around the doors, with a strip (@$90) attached to the rear fenders. It was learned that all four door models in 1954 were fitted with the winged hood ornament as standard equipment. My car is a Canadian model eh and it has the maple leaf tag on the glove box. I don't know of any other differences except some models were configured with right hand drive for export.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
          I am also interested, I have a '54 - 4 door sedan with the tag W-3 which I believe is deluxe trim, also there is a four digit number 9485 that I have no reference for. The paint is believed to be Azore Green for that year. The 53 models were Chippewa green and comparing the paint chips I can't see the difference. This model has stainless trim around the front and rear glass and around the doors, with a strip (@$90) attached to the rear fenders. It was learned that all four door models in 1954 were fitted with the winged hood ornament as standard equipment. My car is a Canadian model eh and it has the maple leaf tag on the glove box. I don't know of any other differences except some models were configured with right hand drive for export.
          Yes, yours is the mid-range Deluxe. 9485 is the body number for ALL 1954 body styles that were assembled in Hamilton; unlike South Bend where each body styles was numbered individually. Your paint color label might still be attached on the underside of the glove compartment. If not, it might be seen under the paint near the windshield wiper motor as the color was written on the firewall in grease pencil before painting on the assembly line. The only other differences will be some Canadian-sourced underhood components, such as the distributor, starter, and the generator, etc. If your generator is an Autolite, the tag might state 'Sarnia, Ontario' on it as an example.

Craig

Comment

I see that you are in California, however, your car was NOT assembled in the California (Vernon/LA) plant. It was built in South Bend, IN. This is based on the Serial Number given.

For the body numbers, 1/3/5; 1 is a Custom, 3 is a Deluxe and 5 is a Regal.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Yes, yours is the mid-range Deluxe. 9485 is the body number for ALL 1954 body styles that were assembled in Hamilton; unlike South Bend where each body styles was numbered individually. Your paint color label might still be attached on the underside of the glove compartment. If not, it might be seen under the paint near the windshield wiper motor as the color was written on the firewall in grease pencil before painting on the assembly line. The only other differences will be some Canadian-sourced underhood components, such as the distributor, starter, and the generator, etc. If your generator is an Autolite, the tag might state 'Sarnia, Ontario' on it as an example.

Craig
              Good stuff thanks, I will look for the paint code David

Comment

Nice car Italiano. Any photos available?
                Last edited by studeclunker; 02-11-2016, 06:16 PM. Reason: remove sig. line
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                X