And yet another ### dream gone bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And yet another ### dream gone bad

Cincinnati craigslist 5437386264. I think I remember this car when it was still standing proud but needing restoration.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5437386264.html

Carey
    Packard Hawk

Comment

Yes, it's a shame for sure. It's too bad so many good car wind up this way or worse.

Comment

Until we learn a little more of the "Back-Story"...let's not be too harsh about this car. I can identify (with the look of) the hand holding that Studebaker badge in one of the pictures. That looks to be the hand of a "worker." The scene surrounding the car looks to be someone living life at the "speed of life." Sometimes, no matter how well intended...how well planned...or how much you are invested in your "dream"...the road of life (sometimes) takes a sudden ninety degree turn not on the map. A family tragedy, health issue, or career setback...

I would love to have had the car as it rolled off the assembly line, but it is obvious to me that this custom effort was undertaken with more than a torch and a hammer. My biggest criticism of the actual custom as it sits, is that the dual sidemount openings need to be modified to fit the tire size going to be used on the car. Aside from the unknown reason the project has stalled, the biggest problem with the sale is finding someone who shares the same dollar value of "his" dream. For me...I'll keep dreaming and let him deal with the "reality."
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Another case of a restorer/stock enthusiast not buying the car and when a rodder does buy it,
          the restorer/stock enthusiast bemoans the situation.
          At least the car is getting some attention.
          Not the kind of attention the restorer/stock enthusiast wants, but attention it deserves.
          What could be better?
          Waiting another ten years and seeing it on reality TV..crushed under a flimsy building because of snowfall?
          Waiting another 15 years to be discovered as a barn find and flipped on some other reality show?
          C'mon.... Be happy.
          Life is too short to wring your hands over politics, the Super Bowl, and what someone else does with that Studebaker you didn't buy.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I really believe its survival chances were way better prior to the attempted or accomplished bastardization! How could anyone disagree?

Comment

Certainly, NOT everyone agrees with you! Perhaps, it would be better to see it rusting away in all its original "glory" in a pasture some where??? Sheeeeesh!

Comment

I don't have problem with someone building modifying his car. When I get irritated is when someone takes a solid car, gets part of the way some questionable personalization and then quits the project.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

I am assuming that, based on Nels' comments, the car was in relatively solid, original, and complete shape before the alteration (i.e not rusting in a field). If it was in nice shape, I agree that it is a shame to modify such a car.

I don't mind, and actually appreciate, when a rodder brings back a junker from the grave that would otherwise rust into the ground or end up crushed as another Stude on the road is a good thing. I don't like chopping up a good solid car though which seems to be the case here. Just my opinion, worth nothing more than the rest of them.

Comment

Deepnhock hit it on the head.
                    Over the years I have run across over 250 Studebakers for sale,a lot of them C/K's and Hawks.Most have been in flocks.
                    Many have been posted here with contact info as they all were for sale.Most of them were parts cars or could have been rebuilt.
                    1 person bought 1 car.One person.
                    A whole lot of folks on here post about saving Studebakers sadly they never seem to have the space/time/money to actually buy one when the opportunity arises.
                    This is a typical thread with typical responses.Happens 2-3 times a year on the Forum.
                    Any time a Stude gets hot rodded it's a crying shame.
                    No it's not.
                    90%(my figure...not scientific)wouldn't buy a Stude to "save it" if it was offered for a fair price for the above mentioned reasons.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

This thread shows us that, as time goes by, fewer and fewer automobile enthusiasts REALLY UNDERSTAND what a vehicle as wonderful as a 1930 Studebaker President is all about....

.....(Throw away the magnificent Studebaker President straight eight....and Mickey Mouse in a SMALL BLOCK CHEVY!)

Comment

You know... I wouldn't mind a mild customizing, as this fellow was doing, as long as he finished what he started. What I hate are these idiots who do this and then demand an unreasonable price for their bastardized incomplete mess. Ten grand for this car is downright stupid greed. Time to swallow the loss and move the car on to someone who will continue the project or return the car to how it belongs. If the project isn't complete, the work done has no value at all. Hence the value of the vehicle was flushed right down the toilet!

Looking at the project, I see where the fellow was attempting to make the car more drive-able under modern conditions. Whilst I might not like what he did, I also understand the reasoning behind it. The whole thing comes down to; this is not a ten thousand dollar car anymore. I mean, get real will ya? Then get over it, let go, and move the car on.

Not that this positing is going anywhere useful...
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I totally agree. The car is nothing more than parts at this point and its not 10k worth of parts.

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                          The whole thing comes down to; this is not a ten thousand dollar car anymore. I mean, get real will ya? Then get over it, let go, and move the car on.

Comment

My only comment is that you, and some others, have now applied all of your standards, dollar values, and opinions to this particular individual.
                            Have you contacted him? Do you know his situation?
                            Easy to pile on, and add the comment de-jour.
                            What if he was crushed by the changing job market? What if he is facing a terminal illness?
                            What if a family member was in serious need of help?
                            He could very well be doing the responsible thing.
                            It looks like the work that has been done up to this point is very good.
                            It is not a junkyard engine dump, seats, and steering column deal....

I read where the moderator gets excoriated by members and gets verbose about certain chosen styles of forum decorum.
                            This, in my opinion, is an example of poor forum decorum.
                            Find a car on the Internet offered for sale that has been modified not to the liking of some, and attack the guy (using choice language).

This whole thread says more about our marques forum members than it does about a guy selling a car.

Sorry.... But that's the way I see it..

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                            You know... I wouldn't mind a mild customizing, as this fellow was doing, as long as he finished what he started. What I hate are these idiots who do this and then demand an unreasonable price for their bastardized incomplete mess. Ten grand for this car is downright stupid greed. Time to swallow the loss and move the car on to someone who will continue the project or return the car to how it belongs. If the project isn't complete, the work done has no value at all. Hence the value of the vehicle was flushed right down the toilet!

Looking at the project, I see where the fellow was attempting to make the car more drive-able under modern conditions. Whilst I might not like what he did, I also understand the reasoning behind it. The whole thing comes down to; this is not a ten thousand dollar car anymore. I mean, get real will ya? Then get over it, let go, and move the car on.

Not that this positing is going anywhere useful...
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I don't get what the big deal is all about. It appears that all of the modifications have been done to upgrade the mechanicals of the vehicle. This makes it much more suited to regular use on today's roadways. If the right person finishes this project, it will help to keep the Studebaker name relevant far more so than a restored original that rarely sees sunlight. This could end up being an awesome resto-rod.
                              ~Matt Connor
                              '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Working...
                              X