No announcement yet.

Is the crossmember supposed to do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Is the crossmember supposed to do this?

In October I finally got my 59 Hawk running and drove it for the first time around the block. The 289 runs strong, the 3 speed shifts well, but the brakes and suspension still needs work. However, when driving the car, I heard a fairly loud thump sound that I thought came from the passenger side, but I couldnt tell for sure.. I figured it could be something banging around in the trunk.

Well last weekend I went to put rear tires on the car. When I jacked the car I noticed the crossmember looking like it split.. I attached pics. There is a huge amount of rust in between the two pieces of the member. I swear it didnt look like this before I drove it. I also noticed broken bolts where it is supposed to bolt to the frame. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2552.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1750277Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2553.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1750278

Nope. Need a new/another one. Also looks like the cars has some other issues with rust that will need addressing at some point.

Len

Comment

It looks like the bottom plate came loose due to corrosion. If the top hat portion is only surface rust then just replace the bottom plate after you've cleaned and derusted the top hat. 1/8" X 4" plate is what you need. If the top hat has some significant rust then it's time to repair or replace it. SN60 has a nice post on repairing a rusted section. You might search for it as he seldom posts on the forum. Bob

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I didnt know the crossmember could be taken apart. Both the uper and lower portion seem to be in decent shape from what I could tell, but there seemed to be a layer of metal inside that is rusting out? I pulled a huge amount of large rust chunks out. Maybe someone tried repairing it in the past.. Ill try to find SN60's post. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
          Thanks for the replies. I didnt know the crossmember could be taken apart. Both the uper and lower portion seem to be in decent shape from what I could tell, but there seemed to be a layer of metal inside that is rusting out? I pulled a huge amount of large rust chunks out. Maybe someone tried repairing it in the past.. Ill try to find SN60's post. Thanks!
          With the amount of posts he has you might want to PM him to see if he can point you to it. If you search, remember to try Google as it is usually better at locating subject matter on the forum. Bob

Comment

Working...
          X