PDA

View Full Version : Six Cyl 64 GT Hawk

Lou Van Anne
01-26-2016, 08:23 PM
If you want one, check out Hemmings online today....:ohmy:

stude dude
01-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Interesting car. Here's the link - http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/studebaker/gt-hawk/1805071.html

Chris.

sals54
01-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Interesting, yes... but, UGH.

swvalcon
01-26-2016, 11:34 PM
Bet that's kind of a gutless wonder.

Lou Van Anne
01-26-2016, 11:43 PM
Bet that's kind of a gutless wonder.
I was thinking the same thing...but she is a good looker!

8E45E
01-27-2016, 06:39 AM
It will drive all the authenticity judges crazy.

Craig

christophe
01-27-2016, 07:19 AM
For 23500 , it should have at least the correct water pump and the heater hose hooked around the engine and not across it.
The wheelcovers are not the right ones, either.

Stu Chapman
01-27-2016, 07:30 AM
If my recollections are correct, here are some thoughts. There is no hood ornament; I believe we shipped these separately so they didn't break off in transit. The deck lid crest is tri-color; I remember these being all white background on export models. Not sure if the outside mirror is correct. Since it's a six cylinder I think it should have been exported from Canada. Just recollections. Any thoughts from the rest of you?

Stu Chapman

8E45E
01-27-2016, 07:40 AM
If my recollections are correct, here are some thoughts. There is no hood ornament; I believe we shipped these separately so they didn't break off in transit. The deck lid crest is tri-color; I remember these being all white background on export models. Not sure if the outside mirror is correct. Since it's a six cylinder I think it should have been exported from Canada. Just recollections. Any thoughts from the rest of you?

I didn't think there were any 1964 Hawks produced in Hamilton at all. And a rather high number, like 13% of 1964 Hawks were export models. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?64910-1964-GT-Hawk-in-Belgium

Craig

raprice
01-27-2016, 07:47 AM
It's bad enough to pay a high price for the car, but the shipping must be very expensive.
I do know that 6 cyl. Hawks were earmarked for Europe. I appreciate Stu's assessment of the car.
Rog

spokejr
01-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Well, according to the history given by the seller, the car was first delivered to Switzerland as confirmed by the sticker on the rear bumper. I'd be interested in getting a better look at the badges on the trunk lid. Too bad it wasnt equipted with a floorshift four speed. An interested piece of history.

christophe
01-27-2016, 08:49 AM
Not sure if the outside mirror is correct. Since it's a six cylinder I think it should have been exported from Canada.Stu Chapman

I noticed that d'Ieteren assembled GT Hawks featured some different components from their US counterparts. The outside mirror is one of them with the scuff plates, the horns and the wheels. There are certainly other ones that I haven't noticed yet. My 63 has a transparent deck lid crest with a golden Hawk. With the serial number, the car is still traceable at D'Ieteren's.

studegary
01-27-2016, 02:46 PM
I believe that there were only 224 six cylinder Hawks built.

There was a spring loaded (safety) circle S hood ornament. It is my understanding that these were for export models. I am now sold out of them, but others may have them.

PeterHawk
01-27-2016, 05:54 PM
At least the passenger side door, interior emblem is correct. Interesting seat belt latching mechanism on the rear quarter panel

8E45E
01-27-2016, 06:45 PM
There was a spring loaded (safety) circle S hood ornament. It is my understanding that these were for export models. I am now sold out of them, but others may have them.

I wonder if they bothered with those on Hawks in the countries where it was required. Unless there was a different part number for the grille surround on cars where a spring-loaded hood ornament was to be fitted, it would take quite a bit of effort to carefully make the required slot on the top of it; considering a 1964 grille surround was a 'reworked' 1963 shell which made the casting thicker in that area.

Craig

62champ
01-27-2016, 07:14 PM
The cool factor is very powerful in this one...

Any reason why there would be a chrome ring around where the optional tach would reside?

http://assets.hemmings.com/uimage/54079319-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

8E45E
01-27-2016, 07:30 PM
The cool factor is very powerful in this one...

Any reason why there would be a chrome ring around where the optional tach would reside?

I saw that too. Any G.T. Hawk I've ever seen without the optional tach is just a blank space without any outline: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?56372-Most-Desirable-Year-GT/page2&highlight=refined

Craig

Jessie J.
01-27-2016, 07:34 PM
One of those times where the Advertising Department did too good of job selling the virtues of their OHV 6 'thunderbolt'?
A 259 would run rings around it, get better gas mileage, and under identical usage last about 4 times as long before requiring a rebuild. All in all a 169 cu in 6 in a Hawk was not one of their more stellar decisions.

Opinion of an owner of a Stude OHV 6 & 4 V-8s

8E45E
01-27-2016, 07:50 PM
One of those times where the Advertising Department did too good of job selling the virtues of their OHV 6 'thunderbolt'?
A 259 would run rings around it, get better gas mileage, and under identical usage last about 4 times as long before requiring a rebuild. All in all a 169 cu in 6 in a Hawk was not one of their more stellar decisions.

Studebaker was an innovator, remember. Pontiac didn't come out with an Iron Duke 4-cylinder Firebird until 1982!! ;)

Craig

stude dude
01-27-2016, 08:47 PM
I believe that there were only 224 six cylinder Hawks built.

Those spring loaded ornaments were for the 1964-66 sedan types only. If a 1964 GT Hawk was sold into a market that objected to the fixed ornament, they were fitted with a 1963 type grille shell. I am guessing that is what this car has. Also, there were some GT's built with the plastic 'spears' cut down so they were level with the chrome housing. I cant imagine them giving off much lighting!

Chris.

8E45E
01-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Those spring loaded ornaments were for the 1964-66 sedan types only. If a 1964 GT Hawk was sold into a market that objected to the fixed ornament, they were fitted with a 1963 type grille shell. I am guessing that is what this car has.

As I thought.

Craig

studegary
01-28-2016, 01:14 PM

Opinion of an owner of a Stude OHV 6 & 4 V-8s

I think that it was mostly due to places that taxed vehicles based on displacement.

Stu Chapman
01-28-2016, 07:42 PM
I wonder if Greg Diffen knows this car. Chime in if you do Greg.

Stu Chapman

BobPalma
01-28-2016, 08:50 PM
I think that it was mostly due to places that taxed vehicles based on displacement.

:!: Right, Gary; it is my understanding that the displacement tax formulation outside the United States is one (but by no means the only) reason why the 60HP Flathead Ford V8 and the 224 Studebaker V8 were introduced. :cool: BP

Lou Van Anne
01-28-2016, 09:46 PM
I wonder if Greg Diffen knows this car. Chime in if you do Greg.

Stu Chapman Paul Dames, you could also chime in...

Jessie J.
01-28-2016, 10:35 PM
Now the 224 finally makes sense. Never registered to me why Stude went from the 232 down to a 224, which seemed like a real step backwards in the displacement and horsepower race of 1950s America.
But it must have not made a lot of sense 'cause it sure wasn't around for long. Did they use it longer in foreign markets?

christophe
01-29-2016, 03:01 AM

Gasoline high prices too, especially after the Suez crisis in 1956. In Europe, high displacement vehicles were clearly overtaxed. The page of D'Ieteren register where my 63 Hawk is mentioned show they were selling nine six cylinders Hawks for one eight cylinder model!

go-studebaker
01-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Hi blokes,
that is one really nice original Hawk compared to a lot I see in the US. It is even more original than the one I own.

I would bet that car is a SB assembled 64 GT with 6 cyl, judging by the interior. The D'Ieteren assembled ones in my opinion are better cars than the US ones, have different interiors and were standard with manual OD transmissions. A Belgian car probably had Vinyl for 6 cyl and Leather for 8 cyl, and you could also have had a proper sun roof installed.

So that makes this car about a thousand times more unusual.

Although I am a V8 man, 6cyl cars were really popular in Europe. The guys that have 6 cyl manual OD GT Hawks tend to cruise at 70mph pretty easy. However, I am sure with an auto that car was not the fastest thing on the planet. So with the mountains they have in Switzerland that would make that an interesting car to drive. It was probably a lot better to drive than an Opel.

Looking at the depth of the power booster I would think that car even has disc brakes on it.

In relation to the boot try colour badge, I have seen the all white version on one car in Belgium that had a V8, so I am not sure it was just for export cars or 6cyl ones either. There seemed to be a lot of them left state side at Standard Surplus, so I don't think they sent too many of them to Europe in the end.

Who knows about the hub caps, but I could only guess that being a 6cyl and made in SB it probably was supplied with the smaller ones. It is something I have never seen before either. So by asking for the serial number I am sure someone could check it.

Rearguards
Greg

Andy R.
01-30-2016, 12:53 AM
I wonder what effect the lighter 6 has on handling.
Perhaps someone familiar with C-K Champions and Commanders might chime in on that aspect?