57 gh 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 gh 400

Is there anyone that has the GH 400 vin numbers that have checked all registered 57 Golden Hawks to be sure there is not a 400 among them? Maybe there should be a registry for all 57 GH parts cars or known junked 57's. Just thinking it would be a good idea. There must be at least one 400 left out there somewhere.

There is a very nice example at the Studebaker Museum in South Bend.

Bill

Comment

Many years ago, at the big Portland Spring Swap Meet, I saw a rough one for sale. I knew what they were, but at the time they weren't considered so unique. It was a light blue, with white leather interior in the same style as what I knew to be a '58 Packard Hawk interior. The side grille inserts were white. The price was a little high considering the condition, and at the time a 400 didn't have such a following as today. Then again, maybe 10 or 12 years ago someone was selling a couple of rough Hawks on Craigslist locally, including a light blue K body. The pictures were few and didn't show any of the features to distinguish it as a 400, but it could have been the same car. I wasn't motivated enough to call and learn more, and the ad ran out. I haven't seen or heard of this car since.

Comment

Bill I thought there wasn't any known to still exist. Maybe I read that wrong.

Comment

Tom Lawless of Indianapolis would be the go to guy for the 1957 GH 400, I don't think he is on the forum but I am sure Bob P will chime in with some helpful info. I just saw pictures of Tom's almost finished 1957 GH 400 and it is STUNNING!
          It is an addiction!

Comment

There was quite a discussion on the 400's and serial numbers in this thread if someone hasn't looked at it before.

Comment

And more here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...olden-Hawk-400

Craig

Comment

I believe the Serial Numbers are known, but concern about clone production warrants some consideration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 golden hawk 400a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1703513
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...