Brooks Stevens design concepts for Studebaker and Packard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks Stevens design concepts for Studebaker and Packard

Many pages of Brooks' artwork and photos of his prototypes at the Milwaukee Art Museum. See 'Stove Huggers' section of this forum for Jeep pickup concepts.
    With a history dating back to 1888, the Milwaukee Art Museum’s Collection includes nearly 25,000 works from antiquity to the present, encompassing painting, drawing, sculpture, decorative arts, prints, video art and installations, and textiles. The Museum’s collections of American decorative arts, German Expressionist prints and paintings, folk and Haitian art, and American art after 1960 are among the nation’s finest. Studebaker

Including proposals of Studebaker dealerships dated 11-21-1962:

Dated 1-18-1964

Looks like Brooks' company was doing some work for Evinrude:

Hauling a tree in the back of a 1963 Wagonaire:

What could of become of the Grand Turismo after 1962:

Hawk hardtop demi-convertible proposal:

Dated 10-26-1961:

Karen Stevens at the wheel, dated 2-12-1963:

Dated 11-19-1979. a proposed Packard revival?:

35 pages of Studebaker and 1 page of Packard designs, check out there website (copied above).
    Last edited by Milaca; 01-24-2016, 10:32 AM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Here is the Sceptre Wagonaire rendering: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ptre-Wagonaire

Craig

Comment

Brooks Stevens went to collage with Evenrude's son , they were the best of friends, that came from the horses mouth in his office in August just before he passed away. I still have a few items that he signed for me at the time.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Very cool, Brent; thanks for posting.

Although it's your thread, do you mind if we insert a Pop Quiz? I've still got plenty of these little P.D. 64-11 small full-line brochures to give away, courtesy of The Studebaker National Museum:

I'd be willing to send one of those to the first person who correctly identifies what is [probably] a Brooks-Stevens personalized custom touch to the 1963 Daytona Wagonaire in the photo with the Evinrude outboard motor(s) being loaded on the back; the third photo in the sequence you posted.

If this is OK with you, just say so. If it isn't, I'll edit the post to delete the Pop Quiz.

Otherwise, readers/forum members, have at it! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is it the (probably) body color paint on the wheelcovers?

Comment

Stevens interior renderings are beautiful. Would have made the 1964 Cruiser look like a luxury car. I never saw these drawings of the 1964 Cruiser/Daytona by Stevens' before this. Again very rich and upper class looking. If it wasn't so obviously "Studebaker", it could have been the "internationally sized" Packard, predating the Cadillac Seville by a good dozen years! This man was such a design master with all genres but his work with Studebaker stands out to me, being a car guy. Limited budgets to work with yet still innovative creations ahead of time. Too bad Studebaker didn't survive longer to use more of his ideas. Given 10 more years on his course and I thing they would have been ok

Comment

The tail gate step up?
                Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Have at it Mr. Palma!
                  I agree with Sanford on the wheelcover paint. The side of the rear roof looks like it is two-toned, but it is probably just a reflection.
                  sigpic

Comment

I really don't believe those two guys put those outboards up there without a cherry picker!
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                      Is it the (probably) body color paint on the wheelcovers?
                      BINGO, Quentin; you've spotted it.

Brooks Stevens was known to personalize his own cars, so that might have been an idea he thought was good but never made it to production because body-colored wheel cover accents would complicate production, cost, and inventory, so they settled on all white for those cover inserts, but he has (or someone) painted his black to match the wagon.

PM me your current mailing address and I'll send you one of the NOS small brochures, Quentin. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Also, notice the 1963 convertible with body color grill surround and headlight rims. It also has an accent color within the side trim inset (which in production was plain aluminum). Were those wheel covers an optional accessory?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          Also, notice the 1963 convertible with body color grill surround and headlight rims. It also has an accent color within the side trim inset (which in production was plain aluminum). Were those wheel covers an optional accessory?
                          I wonder if that convertible and the Splendida still survive.

Craig

Comment

I wonder why the Studebaker dealership proposal drawing has an "Oldsmobile" sign in it.

In the Evinrude picture, on my screen it doesn't look like it has a "Daytona" nameplate in the side spear (appears to say something else). Perhaps someone else has a better view of this).

The "10-26-1961" car looks like a major rip-off of the then new Continental.

The grille surround on the 1963 convertible is not only body color, but appears to be different from a stock piece.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
                              The tail gate step up?
                              That is a regular Studebaker option. My own 1963 Daytona Wagonaire had that step (from new).
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X