Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #160 (New York Auto Show Avanti - April 1962)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #160 (New York Auto Show Avanti - April 1962)

Some months back someone ask if I had a photo of the Avanti at the NY Auto Show in '62. Did not think I did but recently found this one. The Avanti was rushed to completion for the NY show in April 1962. It would be months before they would appear in dealer showrooms. Another pre-production Avanti was shown simultaneously at a shareholders meeting in South Bend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti NY auto show labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1750250
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	april '62 auto show.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1703448

I'm surprised they would have had a '62 Lark at an April '62 Auto Show, instead of a '63. Or, is this a '63 pre-production prototype with a '62 wrap-around windshield? IIRC, some of the '63 ads showed a hardtop with a wrap-around windshield but always thought it was an airbrushed '62. The hubcaps look 'odd' too, although it may just be the photo. Click to enlarge.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I was thinking it might have been a DKW.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]50845[/ATTACH]

I'm surprised they would have had a '62 Lark at an April '62 Auto Show, instead of a '63. Or, is this a '63 pre-production prototype with a '62 wrap-around windshield? IIRC, some of the '63 ads showed a hardtop with a wrap-around windshield but always thought it was an airbrushed '62. The hubcaps look 'odd' too, although it may just be the photo. Click to enlarge.
          Why would you expect a "'62 Lark" at an "April '62" show? That was many months before the changeover to the 1963 model cars (Larks). It was even two months before the production of 1963 Avantis started. 1963 Avanti models came out so early, that many were calling them 1962 models.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
            I was thinking it might have been a DKW.
            I believe that you are correct about the DKW. Studebaker-Packard bought the distribution rights to DKW, along with Mercedes-Benz and Auto-Union. Notice that Mercedes-Benz was displayed next to the Studebakers.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Why would you expect a "'62 Lark" at an "April '62" show? That was many months before the changeover to the 1963 model cars (Larks). It was even two months before the production of 1963 Avantis started. 1963 Avanti models came out so early, that many were calling them 1962 models.
              True.......forgot that back then, manufacturers kept the new designs under cover until the "introduction date".
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I have them all named. The tall gentleman standing in front of the Left Rear Wheel of the '62 Cruiser is Sherwood Egbert, the tall young man walking behind the '62 GT is George Krem, and I am sure we would guess one of these Guys here that said they were instantly in Love with the Avanti on first sight at about 10 years old, would be the Kid standing in the center of the Avanti's front end dreaming of the Day he would own one!

Thanks for Posting that rare Picture Dick, I am impressed with the Size of the Studebaker/mercedes Display.
                It's really too bad that in '62 they did not have the best looking Larks to display in their next to Final and Final version; '63 or '64.

The slightly warmed over and stretched '62's just never did it for me.

Yes, the crowd looking under the Hood of the DKW are all wondering how that thing could run on that tiny THREE cylinder Engine!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 01-23-2016, 10:48 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The body panel details identify the car in the foreground as a Citroen Ami without any doubt. Apparently they were sold in the US for awhile, although I've never seen one here.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

If I remember correctly, the auto show was held at the NY Coliseum at the southwest corner of Central Park. My friend and I used to take the train into the City to check out all the new cars. Prior to that, we used to attend the GM Motorama at the Waldorf Astoria. Admission to that show was free.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The hubcaps look correct to me for a 62. I have a set very similair if not the same as those.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                        If I remember correctly, the auto show was held at the NY Coliseum at the southwest corner of Central Park. My friend and I used to take the train into the City to check out all the new cars. Prior to that, we used to attend the GM Motorama at the Waldorf Astoria. Admission to that show was free.
                        Rog
                        Yes. In fact the NY Coliseum had been built only a few years before, and was impressive in itself. It was another product of famous NY modernizer and road builder Robert Moses.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                          Rog
                          Yes, I used to go to the Coliseum every year for the auto show. I liked it there, because we could drive down, park in the lower level, leave our coats in the car's trunk and then go up (only a short distance outside) to the auto show. Now, at the Javits Center, when we drive down, we have to pay (about $60 for a few hours) to park in a private lot and then walk over to the Javits Center for the auto show. Partly due to this, I do not go to the auto show every year any longer.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            I have them all named. The tall gentleman standing in front of the Left Rear Wheel of the '62 Cruiser is Sherwood Egbert, the tall young man walking behind the '62 GT is George Krem, and I am sure we would guess one of these Guys here that said they were instantly in Love with the Avanti on first sight at about 10 years old, would be the Kid standing in the center of the Avanti's front end dreaming of the Day he would own one!

Thanks for Posting that rare Picture Dick, I am impressed with the Size of the Studebaker/mercedes Display.
                            It's really too bad that in '62 they did not have the best looking Larks to display in their next to Final and Final version; '63 or '64.

The slightly warmed over and stretched '62's just never did it for me.

Yes, the crowd looking under the Hood of the DKW are all wondering how that thing could run on that tiny THREE cylinder Engine!

That's right, Rich; and if the photo would have been taken after hours, it might have caught Bob Palma checking the prototype Avanti for a proper battery hold-down. <GGG>

George
                            george krem

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X