New -old guy with 38 State Commander question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New -old guy with 38 State Commander question

Hi All- I'm new to this forum and Studebakers in general. My dad did own a Rockne before the war (WW2 for the younger guys) if that counts. I'm in central KY outside Lexington. I've rebuilt Austin Healey's, MG's, my latest was a 49 Ford F3 pickup so I spent a good deal of time on the FORD ENT TRUCK forum.
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 1938 STATE COMMANDER that is in very good condition mechanically and sheet metal/paint/chrome wise. The interior needs help but it has the stock radio and speaker mounted above the window and it works!
    My question as I am 6 foot1 inch tall and a good 225 lbs the leg room is limited. The seat appears to have a lever to pull up for adjustments but the seat won't move. The track seems to be rusted with the seat in the forward most position. Does any one know how much the seat can travel if it were not stuck?

I want to purchase it but will not if I can't adjust the seat. I may just decide to unbolt it and move it back 4 inches or so, but that is something I would prefer not to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get this beautiful example back on the road soon - it has been in a private collection too long and has only been driven about 200 miles since the engine rebuild 4 or 5 years ago.
    If I purchase I will post pictures right away. Thanks again for any help
    Dave S

I believe you will find the seat travel will be around 6" or so. Once you have freed up the track I think you would be comfortable. I am a little larger and have no problems with comfort in any of my Pre-war Studebakers, well except for the '38-39 Coupe Express but that is a different animal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0975 copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1703415
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
      I believe you will find the seat travel will be around 6" or so. Once you have freed up the track I think you would be comfortable. I am a little larger and have no problems with comfort in any of my Pre-war Studebakers, well except for the '38-39 Coupe Express but that is a different animal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50800[/ATTACH]
      Yeah...but, with such a cool ride...some things are worth the sacrifice of imperfect comfort.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

This issue is one I've seldom seen addressed in restoration discussions. I doubt there is a single old car, Studebaker or otherwise, that I haven't, at some point, unbolted the seat, removed the adjuster, bead blasted, soaked, lubricated and worked back and forth fifteen or twenty times, then lubricated again and re-installed. Wonder of wonders!

And, if you are seriously too tall (or short), there are usually two or three sets of positions the tracks can be re-installed in or, fabrication enabling even greater options, as well as height.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks guys I do appreciate the input. I did go ahead and say yes to the seller. I will pick the car up next week. I will try to post a couple pics so you can see why I really wanted this car.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that is a beautiful car!! I just love those cathedral headlights. Enjoy your new toy, and welcome to the world of Studebakers. Bill

Comment

Seat tracks are an item overlooked during lubercation cycles.
              On my 57 Packard not only were the tracks rusted solid but the relay cable had snapped.
              Thanks to this forum and Ed Reynolds, I was able to obtain NOS tracks and cable.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thanks guys - I hope to have a lot of fun with this car.

Comment

Great looking car. I think you will enjoy how well it handles once it is out on the road.

Comment

beautiful, just beautiful..

Comment

Thank you all - I need to redo the interior for seats and door panels but the engine anddrive train were all completely rebuilt. The chrome was all redone.
                      The paint is a mystery, parts of it look original and well maintained but there are areas where it looks like it was repainted. The magnet held everywhereso little or no bondo. I am trying to track down the original owner. The fellow I bought it from said he was the second owner and has given me a lot of information. He thinks he has a copy of the original title but needs to find the box it is in. Hopefully he will findit as it would make for somegreat detail in the documentation of the car. No matter what it will be a driver not a trailer queen. here are a couple if interior pictures.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yep , a few more of these prewar cars and we can over take these Lark guys . BBHHHAAAAAAAA ! ! ! . . .

Comment

I have a spare seat track and rod that ties the two together if you need it - send me a PM

Comment

A copy of the original production order is available from the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend. http://www.studebakermuseum.org/stor...uction-orders/

Beautiful car!
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                              A copy of the original production order is available from the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend. http://www.studebakermuseum.org/stor...uction-orders/

Beautiful car!
                              Thanks- it is good to know this is out there. I will check it out. The previous owner documented everything he did to the car and gave me the notebook -- I have not had time to go thru it in detail yet. Will do it over the next few days then see if I need to get the production info or if it is includedin the notebook. Dave S

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
                              I have a spare seat track and rod that ties the two together if you need it - send me a PM
                              Thanks PM sent Dave S

Comment

Working...
                              X