Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Studebaker FIRST! Quad headlights 1938!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Studebaker FIRST! Quad headlights 1938!

Trucks are K30 three-ton cab forward models with Heil 3-yrd dump bodies ordered by the state of Illinois Div. of Highways. Besides the auxiliary (head) lights atop the cab there was also an adjustable spotlight and three red clearance lights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	38 cab forward dual headlights copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1750222
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Nice picture. Imagine the extra headlights are for snowplowing.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

There you have it, Dick, We're frequently told Studebaker was ahead of their time, so there's proof twenty years before the industry adopted quads.

No wonder they went out of business; they were simply too far ahead of the curve. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nothing gets past you Richard. Nice job!!!
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Did anyone notice the relatively poor coverage of the windshield wipers? Believe they should have considered re-engineering them to allow better coverage, esp in view of the fact that these trucks were used for snow plowing. Of course being vacuum actuated they would also leave much to be desired in severe weather circumstances.
          Richard Quinn

Comment

I would love to have one of those trucks! Any photos of such a truck with a plow on it?
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              I would love to have one of those trucks! Any photos of such a truck with a plow on it?
              Sure, one in your neighborhood. Out of Montevideo, Minnesota.

Name:	cab forward snow plow copy.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1703361
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Wow!! Great photo! Even the snow plow blades looked extremely dangerous back then. Thanks for sharing!
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Those trucks were probably still around when the war started, so you know they were workrd to the point there was hardly anything left...

Comment

All of the cab forwards had cabs with wood framing so survival was not good. All conventional cab trucks were all steel.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                      Did anyone notice the relatively poor coverage of the windshield wipers? Believe they should have considered re-engineering them to allow better coverage, esp in view of the fact that these trucks were used for snow plowing. Of course being vacuum actuated they would also leave much to be desired in severe weather circumstances.
                      Yes, those pesky vacuum powered wipers were the scourge of so many cars/trucks in those early days.
                      JimsLeadCommander

Comment

First opportunity to check in with the forum this Sunday. Found this thread. It is posts like this that make my decades of Studebaker hobby so rewarding. Also, since discovering the forum, I've realized, more than ever, the true treasure Richard Quinn is for our entire membership. Always, great presentations when he authored regular "Studebaker Almanac" articles in Turning Wheels magazine. But here, on the forum, without the pressures of deadlines or competing for print space...we are exposed to wonderful information that could otherwise be lost to the ages.

Some of you come from true Studebaker traditions, where your family owned Studebakers, worked for the company, and perhaps have lived your entire life with the awareness of the companies products. For me, I was in the third grade before our large family even own a car. As a child, my very first recollection was the bullet nosed Studebakers. Then came the sleek '53's, and I loved them. I loved them, not because of anything special except for the fact that they were pleasing to my "artistic" eye...and because it is my nature to gravitate to "things different." Until 1975, whenI bought my first Studebaker, my 1955 truck, did I view any Studebaker as anything more than a curious "oddity." And, even then...I bought it because it was a good deal, on a used truck I could afford. Only after being approached by SDC members, did I begin my Studebaker journey. The rich contribution, to the history of our nation,started by a little band of blacksmith brothers. I have pursued it with a passion.

Richard Quinn and others, who had the foresight to collect and share their treasures, are heroes of our hobby. Thank you Richard. Your contributions help keep the flame lit, and worth "logging in!"

As for these trucks, knowing the technology of the day. The size of the engines, and the gear boxes to make them work, the word "Brute" comes to mind. If you think of the era...society struggling to claw out of depression, very few truly decent roads, and the entire world about to plunge into a horrific war...the raw utilitarian construction of these vehicles, pretty much sums up "Life" of the times.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks John. Thought you might like another interesting cab forward this one with a special body. It is also a 38-40 K series. I note both Colorado and New Mexico 1938 plates. I believe Trimble Springs is in Durango, CO area. Note the full chrome plated headlights, a rather rare option on these trucks. Would be great to see this in color!

Name:	38 cab forward bottling copy.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1703379
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                          X