Please ID this engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please ID this engine

Here's an engine pic I found in a 63 HT ad on Craigslist in Dallas. I'm wondering what engine this is. The pictures are small and I tried to enlarge it a bit, but I don't recognize the engine as Studebaker. Any thoughts? Or am I just not seeing it right? Oldsmobile perhaps?
    sals54

Pure guess here...AMC?
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Looking at the cowl and area in front of the radiator - that is not a '63 Lark or any other Studebaker. Somebody got their pictures mixed up.

Comment

It appears to be an AMC 287 CID engine, not to mention, the vacuum wipers, which is a dead giveaway about it being a Rambler.

Craig

Comment

I totally agree, that Engine comportment Pic is not a '63 Daytona as it says, or ANY Stude.
          I have no idea what the engine is, if I had to guess I'd say an early Lincoln '52-'54.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The engine itself is a mid-1956 through 1966 AMC V8 of 250, 287, or 327 cubic inches. The biggest clue are the diagonal flats on the ends of the rocker arm covers.

It appears to be in a Rambler / Ambassador / some other AMC engine bay. A little wider shot of the engine room might provide more clues, but I'm sure it is an AMC product in which it is sitting, "right at home."

Right, as others have said, there's nothing Studebaker about it.

However, the other two photos in that Craigslist listing do show a well-worn 1963 Studebaker Daytona hardtop. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

So much for my sleuthing abilities. I didn't even bother to look at the firewall. Good eye everyone. Yeah, looks like a Rambler.
              sals54

Comment

I knew the flat ends on the rocker covers were something I had seen before but wouldn't have come near remembering from what.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Gee...folks...thanks for validating my guess. So...being that it is an AMC...can we all agree that it has either had at least one new fiber cam gear, timing chain repair, or about to need a new gear and timing chain, or, ....well, you know the drill.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Another dead giveaway that it is a Rambler are the the bars from the middle of the firewall which connect to the shock\spring towers, the heater fan on the firewall and the position of the vacuum windshield wiper motor. It has an alternator and the engine color is red so I say '63-66 327 V8.

Comment

Working...
                    X