56 Sky Hawk/Golden Hawk Headliner Trim Bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Sky Hawk/Golden Hawk Headliner Trim Bows

Is anyone reproducing these in stainless steel or chrome?

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    Is anyone reproducing these in stainless steel or chrome?
    1970's-'80's Dodge 'B' series deluxe vans used a similar headliner arrangement,....but parts for those may be as hard to find as the original '56 GH stuff.

Rene Harger sold us the green headliner & bows we installed in Joe Bacon's '56 Golden Hawk when the car was here in Massachusetts.

Comment

I don't believe the bows came in stainless or chrome...... but in 1956 anything was possible. Now if you find one of those Dodge vans chance's are they will still have a distinct smell of that "funny smoke". On my 56J those bows are a white color.......
      It is an addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        1970's-'80's Dodge 'B' series deluxe vans used a similar headliner arrangement,....but parts for those may be as hard to find as the original '56 GH stuff.

Rene Harger sold us the green headliner & bows we installed in Joe Bacon's '56 Golden Hawk when the car was here in Massachusetts.
        For several years, there's been an ad in the 56J Only newsletter, offering those bows, in white. A 56J guy had some made for his car, and a bunch extra for other 56J owners. They supposedly are more pliable than the originals, which were prone to breaking. I have used the Mopar van ones, which are also found in in some Jeep Cherokees. They are about 1/8" wider, and provide a little more, "bite" to hold the edges of the headliner better. They are available in plastic chrome, and in white, but getting hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
          I don't believe the bows came in stainless or chrome...... but in 1956 anything was possible. Now if you find one of those Dodge vans chance's are they will still have a distinct smell of that "funny smoke". On my 56J those bows are a white color.......
          That's correct..........your '56J has the green headliner with white support bows!

Comment

Taken from the 56J Register...

For sale: We now offer perforated headliners for your 1956 Hawks. Each piece is carefully cut from new perforated hardboard in the correct hole pattern. Pieces are pre-form fitted for the edges and painted Phantom White. Cost is only $345.00 a set plus shipping via FedEX. We can also ship to Canada via US post. Call Loga Enterprises, 5399 Old Town Hall Road, Eau Claire Wisconsin 54701-8952, Email: logaent1@clearwire.net 715-832-7302.We accept Visa. MasterCard, Discover, and PyaPal. (01-2014)

For sale: 1956 Sky Hawk and Golden Hawk headliner trim bows now available!! One set consisting of 3 pieces with ends tapered. $89.95 per set (includes shipping). Contact Myron McDonald at 417-678-4466 or cell 417-229-2603 (01-2013)

Hope either of the above can help you. Myron went back in business having semi-retired before 2013, so should still be good for product.

FWIW - I bought the plastic (off-white) bows and they're just fine. I also purchased fibreglass headliner kit produced by Phantom Autoworks after Rene and Bonita sold their business. Sad to see the new owners go out of business as they added new ideas and dimension to help keep our cars on the road.
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

I had purchased one of the fiberglass headliner kits (white color) from Rene's Phantom Auto back in the day. I ended up never using it and still have it boxed up sitting on a shelf. I would be willing to sell it if anyone is interested. Also, I have an NOS set of Dodge plastic bows (used for their vans) that are similar but differ slightly to what Studebaker used in '56. If I remember correctly, these bows are slightly longer and would need be trimmed down. I would be willing to sell these as well if anyone is interested.

Don

Comment

Only sorta related, but Kathy (wife) wants extra bling on our '57 Silver Hawk we're restoring, so I located and purchased a set of the stainless headliner bows that are on all '62-'64 GT Hawks. I know the '56 headliner is different, but if you want to use the much more affordable '57 headliner, you could do the same...
                1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                1951 Champion Business Coupe
                1951 Commander Starlight
                1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                1953 Champion Starlight
                1953 Commander Starliner
                1953 2R5
                1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                1959 Silver Hawk
                1961 Hawk
                1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                1965 Cruiser
                1970 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                  Only sorta related, but Kathy (wife) wants extra bling on our '57 Silver Hawk we're restoring, so I located and purchased a set of the stainless headliner bows that are on all '62-'64 GT Hawks. I know the '56 headliner is different, but if you want to use the much more affordable '57 headliner, you could do the same...
                  SOUNDS GREAT!.....I like improvements like that!

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                    From a functional stand point, that is an excellent mod. The fiber board headliner in 56Js amplifies any and all vibrations in the car. At times, its kinda like sitting close to a speaker, emitting heavy bass. I have driven two 56Js that did not have this reverberation, and both had cloth/vinyl headliners. I have grown tone deaf to it over the years though, and too old and lazy to swap mine out now.

Comment

Working...
                    X