Transmission Interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Transmission Interchangeability

New to SDC, first one is a '49 2R10 3/4 ton pickup. I have a '49 4speed transmission I want to put in in place of the 3 speed on the column. Interchangeability questions:
    - missing bell housing; I know 3 speed one is different. When I do find one will it bolt up to my Champion six?
    - tip of output shaft on 4speed is bigger diameter than 3 speed. Will the correct 4speed pilot bushing or bearing fit the end of the crankshaft on the Champion six?
    - I have 4speed larger clutch/pressure plate/flywheel. Will the larger flywheel fit crank of the Champion six?
    - driveshaft issues? My 3speed long bed driveshaft was a two piece with a center carrier bearing but the guy I bought the 4speed from sent me a long one piece drive shaft. Will it work? I know the 4speed is longer than the little 3speed
    - in looking at the 3speed bellhousing I can see untapped/undrilled bosses that seem to match the mounting ear pattern of the 4speed, and I can also see that the front input shaft collar on the input shaft is about half inch wider in diameter than the one on the 3speed. If I cannot find a bellhousing is it feasible to machine mine to open up the hole for the collar and drill and tap the transmission mounting ear holes?
    - Any throwout bearing issues (I have a new one I bought for the smaller clutch -- will it work with the larger clutch?)
    - any other "gotchas" for this switch?

Thanks -- I am in sponge mode learning something about these old Stude trucks that I really love

It's possible your '49 4-speed T9 crash box came from a Commander six cylinder and may not be an easy bolt into your Champion.

You didn't ask for suggestions, but I'd hold out for a later T98 4-speed which is a much better shifting transmission, with synchros on 2, 3, 4.

You didn't indicate your 3-speed has overdrive. Actually, unless one is hauling max GVW loads of gravel, I'd stay with the T90 3-speed overdrive. It's a much, much better transmission for street driving of an unloaded hobby truck. Again, JMHO, but I convert all my column shifts to an aftermarket floor shift; adds greatly to the driving pleasure. In a 4-speed conversion, if you're losing overdrive, you're taking 10-15 MPH off the cruising speed of the truck.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

yup, Overdrive is the way to go......

If you're having trouble with the 3sp hanging up between gears or something, take a careful look at the rubber bushings on the side of the tranny if they're still there.
      Usually they're so worn that the tranny tries to hang between gears.

2 new ones and proper adjustment will give you years of enjoyment.

also, I leave my key in my truck. Gonna laugh when some modern push-button idiot tries to steal it....

Comment

Jack, I have done a lot more homework -- got a Parts Catalog from Myers -- huge help (still not enough homework yet but getting smarter) and understand better what you meant by holding out for T98 -- square cut vs helical gears. I had not seen the book and didn't really understand the variables and permutations/combinations when I made my original post. I do know clearly now that a 4speed was a standard option on the 2R10 and that the 2R11 came with the 245ci engine (at least that is what I have gleaned so far from the tables) so that has helped a lot. I still don't know if there was a bellhousing that let you use 4speed with the smaller 6. I spent the day yesterday on the lathe and vertical mill making adapters so I have the parts to use the T9 now with the smaller engine but unfortunately am also using the smaller clutch and pressure plate because the flywheel off of the larger engine will not fit in the smaller bellhousing nor will the flywheel from the larger engine work on the smaller engine. My guess at this point is that if you wanted a 4speed you got the bigger engine -- period. but dont know for sure. Doesn't matter at this point as I have made it work.

I am a Studebaker newbie and was disappointed at the response I got to my post -- but "thank you" to the two that responded. I think maybe it might have been because it was a pretty stupid post and I had not done my homework so the people that have the answers forced me to figure it out myself. I get that -- sorry gents. That said, if anyone wants to see how I did it I will be happy to share my adapter design

Comment

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

Good luck with your truck.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            It's possible your '49 4-speed T9 crash box came from a Commander six cylinder and may not be an easy bolt into your Champion.

You didn't ask for suggestions, but I'd hold out for a later T98 4-speed which is a much better shifting transmission, with synchros on 2, 3, 4.
            Be aware that: Warner T9's were also used in 1948/52 Ford trucks, Warner T-98's were also used in 1948/64 Ford trucks.

Comment

Working...
            X