This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving the Power Hawk to RI...

I'll be driving the Power Hawk from Austin, TX back to RI where it began its service life. I've owned the car since 1966 and am the third owner. The first owner was our plumber and the second was a neighbor. It had 33K on it and the car just turned over the 90K mark just last year.

I hope for yet another trouble free journey...
    Attached Files

Grumpy, I remember a real nice all black '56 power Hawk that was brought to many early Mass-RI Chapter SDC shows years ago...but its (then) owners name escapes me....Wondering if yours could be that same Hawk?

Anyway, ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!

Comment

Hey, Grump... lost track of you for a while... good to see you back in action, and still Studebakering!
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Was that photo taken in 1988, parked in front of Avanti Motors in South Bend? I recognize Buildings, 47/47A/48/48A right across the street.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Grumpy, I remember a real nice all black '56 power Hawk that was brought to many early Mass-RI Chapter SDC shows years ago...but its (then) owners name escapes me....Wondering if yours could be that same Hawk?

Anyway, ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!
          Could well be as I was a member of Mass/RI Chapter which later became the Ocean Bay chapter. I also had a '63 r-1 Avanti and '64 Champ T-Cab. I was pretty active in the southeastern NE area..

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Was that photo taken in 1988, parked in front of Avanti Motors in South Bend? I recognize Buildings, 47/47A/48/48A right across the street.

Craig
            1983 SDC International as I recall.

Comment

As hard as some people try to get rid of me, I stick around defiantly!

I visit you site on occasion and hope that all is well...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                Could well be as I was a member of Mass/RI Chapter which later became the Ocean Bay chapter. I also had a '63 r-1 Avanti and '64 Champ T-Cab. I was pretty active in the southeastern NE area..
                In the 1970s, there was an active group from RI that used to come over to the Hudson Valley Chapter Meets, usually held at the Vanderbilt Mansion. I think that some were from one family and others were not related. Casswell is a name that comes to mind. I do remember that they were a group that liked to party/drink after the banquet.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  In the 1970s, there was an active group from RI that used to come over to the Hudson Valley Chapter Meets, usually held at the Vanderbilt Mansion. I think that some were from one family and others were not related. Casswell is a name that comes to mind. I do remember that they were a group that liked to party/drink after the banquet.
                  That's back when 'SDC' stood for the 'Studebaker Drinking Club' Gary!!!

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    The Caswells were a prominent RI family out of Narragansett. In fact I bought my Avanti R1 from George Sr as he felt that he had too many at three. George was not much of a partier or drinker as I recall and we travelled to various meets in the eastern US. George was a blue collar guy even though he resided on Caswell CT which was off of Caswell Street.

We sure did have some good outings over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                      The Caswells were a prominent RI family out of Narragansett. In fact I bought my Avanti R1 from George Sr as he felt that he had too many at three. George was not much of a partier or drinker as I recall and we travelled to various meets in the eastern US. George was a blue collar guy even though he resided on Caswell CT which was off of Caswell Street.

We sure did have some good outings over the years...
                      The small Studebaker world. At that time, I also remember a lady from RI that used to come to our HVC Meets. IIRC, her name was Meta Bostwick. There was quite a group from the RI area. I wasn't trying to say that all of them were drinkers (some were known for that).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey Grumpy it's getting close...when do you plan on leaving? You must be driving the farthest. Should be a lot of fun. Will you be able to post here to update the journey?

Comment

Originally posted by jg61hawk View Post
                          Hey Grumpy it's getting close...when do you plan on leaving? You must be driving the farthest. Should be a lot of fun. Will you be able to post here to update the journey?

Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it.

Two Reasons:

1. The weather has been horrendous and...

2. I had a very nasty bout with the flu and pneumonia earlier this spring.

As a result, I was not able to complete the preparation of the car coupled with it developing a big oil leak, (thread in tech talk), so my travel to the east coast is on hold until I can get outstanding issues resolved...

Comment

Sorry to hear of the trouble. Texas to South Bend is a good drive too....always next year!

Comment

Mada was along time SDC'r from SE Mass. We gave her a 90th B-day party some years back....

Comment

Working...
                              X