Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS exhaust- follow up

Hi guys,
    I was able to find a complete NOS exhaust system for my 65 commander. I have a muffler that is correct for the period- not Produced by Studebaker. I'm still looking for muffler p/n 1555449 to keep. Anyhow, the pipes are steel (obviously). Should I coat them or just install as is? Were all 65 exhaust systems aluminized from factory? And can you aluminize the exhaust now?

Happy New Year!
    Nate

All Studebaker Factory Exhaust Systems were Aluminized Steel from 1961 to 1966, but in the Day many Aftermarket Pipes and mufflers were made copying them but usually not Aluminized.

The Original SASCO and later Newman and Altman, Avanti Parts Corp. Standard Surplus and maybe even the New SASCO after Studebaker did reproduce some in steel, so the word NOS may be variable/questionable when referring to some of these Pipes.

On even the Aluminized Pipes, I coat the Welds that WILL rust or the Steel Pipes with Cold Galvanizing Zinc Spray and highly recommend it. Degrease them first there is Oil on them.

Studebaker did not "Produce" Mufflers, they had to buy them like most other parts, they came from a Major Supplier, the stamped in Part Number is about the only difference between a Factory Part and an aftermarket Oval Stock Muffler available in Galvanized Steel.

I am not aware of any affordable way to Aluminize pipes already Mfg.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-01-2016, 11:14 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks rich. I'll give you a call tomorrow evening. Will you be around?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker1965 View Post
        Thanks rich. I'll give you a call tomorrow evening. Will you be around?
        Today and tomorrow!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

given the present roster conditions/time.... you'll never wear out NOS pipes: buy NOS !!

Comment

Working...
          X