61 gran turismo hawk ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 gran turismo hawk ?

Received the January TW today and read a story by Tim Halchuk about a 61 Hawk he had stolen from him in pieces. In this article he states he purchased a 1961 limited edition GT Hawk #61v25406 and states the Gran Turismo was identified by having a 289 engine, bucket seats, TT, 4 speed tranny and a full dashboard, whatever that is. Since I have a car that matches that description it caught my eye but I have never heard of such a model designation. What say the experts on these things?

The "Gran Turismo" term was indeed used in Studebaker advertising for the 1961 Hawk, but it didn't appear on the car itself. Tying the Gran Turismo name to "289 engine, bucket seats, TT, 4 speed tranny and a full dashboard" is just someone's imagination in more recent times. Studebaker enthusiasts consider Gran Turismo Hawks to be 1962-64 only.
    -Dwight FitzSimons, two '64 Hawks

Comment

In 1961, 'Gran Turismo' was used as an adjective in their advertising; not an actual model name until 1962.

It was a repeat of what Studebaker did in their advertising in the mid-thirties, where they referred to their cars as 'Champions', although that name didn't appear on any Studebaker until mid-1939.

Craig

Comment

The 1961 Studebaker 'Hawk', equipped with the four speed trans, p/s, and those cushy '61 only' seats, is perhaps the nicest driving, tightest, and possibly the best looking of all Studebaker Hawks built from '56 thru '64. (IMHO)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          The 1961 Studebaker 'Hawk', equipped with the four speed trans, p/s, and those cushy '61 only' seats, is perhaps the nicest driving, tightest, and possibly the best looking of all Studebaker Hawks built from '56 thru '64. (IMHO)
          agreed, I believe that from previous forum chats there were only 468 or so 61Hawks built with the 4 speed package, so your car is very special machine and one that I would highly recommend that you improve and enjoy...Happy motoring fyi there are some very neat ads from the era on the 61 ,4 speed Hawk Grand Turismo ..usually very reasonably priced and fun to read

Comment

I painted a 61 hawk with 289, 4 speed and bucket seats for a young guy in St. Paul.MN back in the late 70's early 80's. We went from sliver to black with a red stripe on the fin and it had red velour seats. Always wondered what happened to that car. I've got a picture of it somewhere if I can still find it.

Comment

I have had a 61 hawk 4 speed for almost 30 years now, I am the second owner. I have several of the ads showing the 61 hawks as GT. My impression is that Studebaker had thoughts of referring to the 4-speed 61 hawks as GT hawks but for some reason abandoned the GT name prior to production.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Here is the Dash Plaque Memo:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	'61 Hawk Owners dashplaque.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1703247 And a '61 Hawk "GT" Interior. Click image for larger version

Name:	61GT_HawkFlamingo3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1703248 A "Full Dash" is obvious,
                ....................................................................it's one ordered with Both the Clock AND the Tach.

All '60 to '64 Hawks for U.S. sale, were advertized as having 289 Engines.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks a million Rich. I made a copy of the sales letter for my file. Great info.

Comment

I see that production was to be limited to 6100 units. How many were actually produced? 61 is my favorite finned Hawk. Would certianly be open to owning one, especially a 4 speed.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The 1974 Studebaker co-operator publication shows 3929 '61' Hawks were produced worldwide. I read somewhere else that less than 500 had 4 speeds. Probably not many left anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        And a '61 Hawk "GT" Interior. [ATTACH=CONFIG]50430[/ATTACH] A "Full Dash" is obvious, it's one ordered with Both the Clock AND the Tach.
                        Rich, I don't see the optional clock in the dash in this car.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                          I see that production was to be limited to 6100 units. How many were actually produced? 61 is my favorite finned Hawk. Would certianly be open to owning one, especially a 4 speed.
                          3,663 V8s, Don, plus 266 sixes for export. 'Doesn't look like the 6,100 cut-off was ever in jeopardy!

Agreed on your choice. 1961 is my favorite Hawk of all, period. Really nice interiors, bucket seats and a 4-speed...but still with fins. Nice package I've always liked.

Nelson Bove (in photo) and I extracted this one a couple years ago from its protracted slumber since 1972(?), IIRC. The first Mayor of Carmel IN, the hy-klass town north of Indianapolis, bought it new:

BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I had a 61 Hawk w/4 speed back in the early 70's. Black with red interior. It had a full flow 289 clover leaf engine. I paid $200 for it. Last that I knew it was in Iowa missing engine and transmission. I have always said that if I were to ever buy another Hawk it would be a 61

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Rich, I don't see the optional clock in the dash in this car. Craig
                              That is because they were were both OPTIONAL! As I think you know, A '61 "GT" Hawk only had to have a 4 Speed to be known in Magazine Ads as a "GT". I posted this one because it has the 4 Speed AND the "Limited Production" Dash Plaque.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X