progressive just insured me.... no questions asked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• progressive just insured me.... no questions asked

after getting turned away from several places for various reason most of them saying that I am to young or I didnt meet there criteria (whatever that means)

I decided to call that last place that I thought would want to insure me and my Champ, Progressive. I have had a policy with this company from that first day I had a car. I should have tried them first and save myself a little bit of a headache.

I called them up and played it cool like they were my first call, trying to be as sweet as possible with pleases and thank yous.

Told them that I had 1960 Studebaker Champ that I would like to add to my policy. I plan on using it for pleasure because I have the other vehicle on my policy as my primary vehicle, but I would like to drive the truck whenever I feel up for it. She asked me a couple of coverage questions and then the VIN. A few moments later and bunch of typing on the key board she asked me is the suspension has been altered, No the suspension is stock equipment I said.

At this point I am expecting to get blasted with questions that eventually come out to saying "sorry sir but I dont think that we can help you"

To my suprise she said, "Alright Mr.Martin, your policy is going to go up $40/month if you would like to continue. Would you like to start your coverage today?"

YES!!!, I almost couldnt hold back my excitment

I now have insureance, tags and a title in my name!!!! One step closer
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Well good for You,now Driiiiiiive it - I kinda wish Mine was a T-98 4 speed.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Good for you Charles! Glad to hear you are getting closer to the road. Maybe I need you to come up here and work on mine.

stude1964 if you are reading this you may be happy to know that the engine out of your Uncle's GT HAWK lives on in Charles' CHAMP.

JS
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

$40x12=$480 a year. Hope you get to drive it a lot.

Comment

Does this include collision or comp?
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I have five studies with Hagerty and don't pay that much

Comment

its full coverage like my primary vehicle, I know its higher cost then most but because of the insurance I wanted I have everything going against me.

I asked for full coverage, $5000 value if total loss, unlimited mileage, unrestricted rules for when I can drive and the kicker, Im 28 years old. Some of the other companies I spoke with had no problem with my requests.... if I was 30 years of age.

This will not be my primary vehicle although I do plan on driving it. Everything I have done to this truck to date has been to improve or modernize how the truck rides and drives.
              Last edited by what huh; 12-29-2015, 04:40 PM.
              Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Originally posted by KSKOMO View Post
                I have five studies with Hagerty and don't pay that much
                If Charles' first inquiries were to the collector vehicle insurers (Hagerty, J.C. Taylor, etc), their response could be influenced by his age, or a short insurability record. Progressive is quite probably taking advantage of him for the benefit of their shareholders but, what insurance company isn't? I've been with State Farm of forty-five years and each of my insured antiques cost about $150-$175/year with all contingencies covered, and use pretty much to my discretion. Dedicated collector car insurers may charge less than that but are also very particular about use and age of insured.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hagerty and Grundy require that you have '10 years of driving experience'. They can not be used for daily transportation. The storage building must be secured (locked).

Just looked at their website. I'm assuming that 'Powered by Hagerty' means that Hagerty is overseeing the policy.
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

We have Hagerty on the Wife's 64 Buick ragtop, $8000 agreed value, $130 a year. They never ask for mileage and we drive the wheels off it.
                    http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post
                      its full coverage like my primary vehicle, I know its higher cost then most but because of the insurance I wanted I have everything going against me.

I asked for full coverage, $5000 value if total loss, unlimited mileage, unrestricted rules for when I can drive and the kicker, Im 28 years old. Some of the other companies I spoke with had no problem with my requests.... if I was 30 years of age.

This will not be my primary vehicle although I do plan on driving it. Everything I have done to this truck to date has been to improve or modernize how the truck rides and drives.
                      The Devil is in the details.............."......$5000.00 value if total loss," Collecting the $5000.00 , should there be a total loss will depend on the verbiage of the policy. Since it is an addition to the everyday driver policy, I'll bet that the coverage is a "Stated Amount" and not an "Agreed Amount". Big difference. Be careful and fully understand what you and the insurance company agreed to. Remember........you are an amateur dealing with professionals.

Comment

Bottom line, your Champ is now tagged & legal on the road. I just registered a, "winter rat" (2000 Buick) here in Kentucky, and minimum liability is about $300 per year. Considering your age and driving experience are likely factors in the insurance calculation, sounds like you got a good deal. Hopefully, you did not get, "antique plates" for the truck. Here in KY, those plates are even more restricting than the classic auto insurance policies. If you have regular insurance and tags, you can drive the heck out of it, and not worry about restrictions. IMHO, anyone who has classic insurance and/or historic tags, and is ignoring those restrictions, is unwise in bragging about it on the internet

Comment

Working...
                        X