PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on swap meet in May in S/B

candbstudebakers
12-28-2015, 10:40 AM
As of right now I am planning on the trip to S/B in May for the swap and I am not sure of the dates and what hotel most are staying at, thanks............Bob

Stu Chapman
12-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Bob, the dates are May 6 and 7. The closest hotel to the Fairgrounds is the Comfort Suites. However it's also more expensive than most other South Bend hotels and you still have to drive to the location. Other members will likely chime in but there are loads of hotels such as near Notre Dame, and Mishawaka next to University Mall. South Bend is not lacking in hotel space.

Stu Chapman

BobWaitz
12-28-2015, 12:49 PM
True. Notre Dame's presence means there are lots of places to stay. Thankfully the events that fill them up like graduation or homecoming don't occur during the weekend of the swap meet. We've never had to make reservations. And even those on the north-east side aren't too far away from the fairgrounds. We usually stay over there. Always confirm the weekend before making your travel plans. IIRC it's always the first Friday in May, not the first weekend. It is not unheard of for someone to show up a week early by accident.

StudeNewby
12-28-2015, 01:11 PM
I'm planning on making the trip, too. I understand there is camping available on the fairgrounds?

Deaf Mute
12-28-2015, 03:42 PM
We used to stay at the Microtel near Notre Dame... but the owners are running it into the ground. The last two years we have stayed at the La Quinta Inn right in front of the airport. Just a short couple blocks to the US30 bypass and south and east to the fairgrounds is a short trip. The rates are fair and the parking lot is large... just be careful of the round-a-bout out front. There is a good Italian restaurant just about a half mile down the road to town as well.

jbwhttail
12-28-2015, 05:14 PM
The Comfort Suites Skip mentioned is the closest motel and is the place to be and most expensive. When we left last years meet they allowed/encouraged us to book then as they only reserve X amount of rooms for SDC. As others have said around ND and Mishawaka are several other nice and cheaper motels. Also that particular Comfort Suite has a 21 day cancellation policy they keep in small printfor the spring meet, we know....