Hood Crest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Crest

Dose anyone know anything about the crest and or logo on the 1956 Champion four door. Was looking up the meaning. Can't find anything yet.

On '50 & '51's these were made of Brass and painted, on '56 and '57 a Plastic Crest was used, just a Studebaker Crest ornament, does it have to have a meaning?

Strangely there were "Thunderbirds" that do not resemble Hawks.

The New reproductions in both Types are available at Studebaker Vendors: http://studebakervendors.com
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-19-2015, 04:15 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think it would have to mean "Beauty and Quality".

Comment

The crest on cars mean something. Some are the crest of the family name. Look up chev crest (Bow tie) The four crowns and the two what might be birds have to have meaning. It wasn't just put on the car for looks.

Comment

Originally posted by John McElfresh View Post
          The crest on cars mean something. Some are the crest of the family name. Look up chev crest (Bow tie) The four crowns and the two what might be birds have to have meaning. It wasn't just put on the car for looks.
          By 1956 you could totally guess/assume that the Crowns always used on Champions, indicated those and the Birds (Thunderbirds) indicated Hawks, but the problem is they created these in 1949!

I think SOME makes' Crests or Trademarked Emblems (like Chev. Bow Tie, not a Crest) actually had some meaning, but it is very possible that Studebaker's did not.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

John, I agree. Usually these crests or emblems have some meaning to them, even if it has been lost to time. I find these histories fascinating, and I'd love to know if the Studebaker "crest" really did relate to the family seal. If it didn't, well, that's a story unto itself, and I'd like to know it!
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Poked around on the net and it seems the Studebaker family crest or coat of arms is a knights helmet with feathers over a cross then some sort of vines to the left and right .
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I think this is a VERY INTERESTING question!

Comment

A google search on 'Studebaker family crest' brings up all sorts of interesting designs, but none have features that could be related to the ones used on any vehicle emblem or crest I can recognise.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                    Poked around on the net and it seems the Studebaker family crest or coat of arms is a knights helmet with feathers over a cross then some sort of vines to the left and right .
                    Hey, maybe that's where that one-year-only 1942 Champion out-of-the-blue cap with the knight/Trojan helmet on it came from.
                    Last edited by kurtruk; 12-19-2015, 11:40 PM.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Maybe this might explain.

[/URL]

Comment

Thanks. This was very interesting for many I see and not just myself. Open ones mind to other things. See what you can see.

Comment

Just a thought but could it be possible that the shield may have had some meaning to Raymond Loewy and his design firm? Who knows, it could have been thought up as early as 1938 when the contract for styling was awarded to Loewy.

Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ
                          Home of Lazarus

Comment

I think post #11 pretty much confirms it had no historic Studebaker family reference. The art department created it for a model that was aborted but the emblem had already been approved so it made it to production.

Interesting stuff!

Chris.

Comment

Great read, Post #11, I'm so proud that Studebaker history is archived and preserved for future Studebaker owners.

Comment

Working...
                              X