OHV Piston type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHV Piston type

I am rebuilding my first Stude 6 , Its a 64 with the new design skirted pistons , If you were rebuilding one of these would you use the skirted type or the earlier non skirt style , Thanks , Ed

I like skirts myself, but mostly on women. Although my Scottish heritage tells me it's ok for guys to wear them as well.

Ed, I'm a thinkin this will be moved to the tech page before too long.

J-Bob
    Last edited by LarkTruck; 12-17-2015, 05:33 PM.
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

OK, back to PISTON Skirts!

There is a reason they upgraded the Piston and Ring design on '64's, so what's the harm in replacing them with the correct type.

Most Stude. owners are aware of the Cracks developing between the Valve Seats in the Heads, but not as many know about the burned through Pistons in these Engines, they made several attempts to correct both issues.

There should be some Service Letters someone may have about both.

I have always found that overheating and it's cause, excess RPM is the major killer of these OHV Sixes, if you can keep them cool with the proper Higher Axle Ratio, they may last a very long time.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-17-2015, 09:48 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Any idea what the reason was? Somewhere in the dark, nether regions of my addled mind, '64's had piston slap issues?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        OK, back to PISTON Skirts!

There is a reason they upgraded the Piston and Ring design on '64's, so what's the harm in replacing them with the correct type.

Most Stude. owners are aware of the Cracks developing between the Valve Seats in the Heads, but not as many know about the burned through Pistons in these Engines, they made several attempts to correct both issues.

There should be some Service Letters someone may have about both.

I have always found that overheating and it's cause, excess RPM is the major killer of these OHV Sixes, if you can keep them cool with the proper Higher Axle Ratio, they may last a very long time.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

As far as I know it is easier, and a better option, to go with the earlier style of piston as the 64 pistons, and accompanying rings, are hard to find and not worth the trouble as they had problems.

The problems I have read about are too much weight around the piston pin and too short a skirt causing rocking in bores and cracked skirts. Top ring burning as it runs higher in the bore than earlier pistons. I have not had a 64 OHV six so these are not things I have experienced. My last six was an OHV 63.

That said, if there was a chance to obtain a full set of pistons and rings, and one was to baby the engine and find what it liked and didn't, putting together a complete 64 would be stimulating to say the least.

Len
          Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2015, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X