Studebaker/Mercedes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker/Mercedes

When did the agreement between Studebaker and Mercedes begin? I think I have a copy somewhere of a Mercedes advertisement featuring a 1955 Gullwing with Studebaker mentioned on the ad. However, in looking through the net I see the year 1958 used frequently. I always thought the relationship began in 1955. Anybody got the facts?

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

According to the book "Studebaker, The Complete Story" the final agreement was made in April 1957 of Studebaker-Packard as the sole distributor of Diamler-Benz vehicles in North America.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

According to the book "Studebaker, The Complete Story" the final agreement was made in April 1957 of Studebaker-Packard as the sole distributor of Diamler-Benz vehicles in North America.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

My memory says that Studebaker handled the distribution of Mercedes Benz cars for the 1958-1965 model years.
        Remember that 300SL coupes ("gullwings") were sold later than 1955 (through 1957).
        300SL convertibles were offered through 1963.
        I remember 1958 Studebaker-Packard ads with a M-B 300SL convertible.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

My memory says that Studebaker handled the distribution of Mercedes Benz cars for the 1958-1965 model years.
          Remember that 300SL coupes ("gullwings") were sold later than 1955 (through 1957).
          300SL convertibles were offered through 1963.
          I remember 1958 Studebaker-Packard ads with a M-B 300SL convertible.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JRoberts

When did the agreement between Studebaker and Mercedes begin? I think I have a copy somewhere of a Mercedes advertisement featuring a 1955 Gullwing with Studebaker mentioned on the ad. However, in looking through the net I see the year 1958 used frequently. I always thought the relationship began in 1955. Anybody got the facts?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I'm in a rush right now, but I believe I have several 1957 M-B pieces of literature in my collection. I think I'm correct that a few Studebaker dealers began selling M-B's during the 1957 model year. I'll try to check the literature over the weekend and get back to you.

Frank Drumheller
            Louisa, VA
            '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
            '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JRoberts

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I'm in a rush right now, but I believe I have several 1957 M-B pieces of literature in my collection. I think I'm correct that a few Studebaker dealers began selling M-B's during the 1957 model year. I'll try to check the literature over the weekend and get back to you.

Frank Drumheller
              Louisa, VA
              '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
              '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

Thanks guys for the input.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Thanks guys for the input.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

Studebaker ended up getting the rights to distribute Mercedes-Benz through the moves made to pump capital into Studebaker through Curtis-Wright in late 1956 and 1957. Curtis-Wright owned the rights to Mercedes, and through a complicated deal arranged through the Eisenhower Administration, the Mercedes rights and a total of $45 million in capital were exchanged for Studebaker's defense assets and contracts. A more detailed account of the deal is on page 35 of the book "Studebaker - Less Than They Promised" by Michael Beatty, Patrick Furlong and Loren Pennington.

Kevin Wolford
                    Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                    60 Lark VI Conv.
                    63 Avanti R1

Comment

Studebaker ended up getting the rights to distribute Mercedes-Benz through the moves made to pump capital into Studebaker through Curtis-Wright in late 1956 and 1957. Curtis-Wright owned the rights to Mercedes, and through a complicated deal arranged through the Eisenhower Administration, the Mercedes rights and a total of $45 million in capital were exchanged for Studebaker's defense assets and contracts. A more detailed account of the deal is on page 35 of the book "Studebaker - Less Than They Promised" by Michael Beatty, Patrick Furlong and Loren Pennington.

Kevin Wolford
                      Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                      60 Lark VI Conv.
                      63 Avanti R1

Comment

Want to have some fun? Go to a Concourse Show or at least one that has Imported Car Classes and look for Studebaker era Mercedes. Ask the owner to inspect the Data Plate and make sure you watch the look on his face. Gaurantee he will do all that he can to hide that it is a Stude mercedes. It's more fun to be wearing a Studebaker Shirt or Hat. Most will run away from you but there are a few who will just laugh and share thoughts with you because they know you know their secret.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Want to have some fun? Go to a Concourse Show or at least one that has Imported Car Classes and look for Studebaker era Mercedes. Ask the owner to inspect the Data Plate and make sure you watch the look on his face. Gaurantee he will do all that he can to hide that it is a Stude mercedes. It's more fun to be wearing a Studebaker Shirt or Hat. Most will run away from you but there are a few who will just laugh and share thoughts with you because they know you know their secret.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

In the very early 60's around 62-63 I believe my elder brother and I walked into the Studebaker dealer show room in Lynchburg, Va. and there was a Mercedes (one of the two seat types) sitting in the show room. Wish I had a photo of that time visit. A few months later the show room had a silver grey Avanti with red interior R2 automatic. It was my first Avanti viewing and the only time I have seen that color. It was absolutely beautiful! It got bought by a college student. About a year or two later I got a weekend job at a local Esso station and filled the same Avanti on a "fill her up" visit. He had several girls with him too. But all I could do was clean the windshield and fill the tank. High test was 32 cents a gallon. And I was making 16 dollars a weekend for two days of gasing and washing. But that was double the 50 cent an hour I was getting at an Amoco place. Ahh times were so good then! Then GTO's and Chevell's started showing up everywhere and everybody went APE! But I said, I'm owning an Avanti one day.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

In the very early 60's around 62-63 I believe my elder brother and I walked into the Studebaker dealer show room in Lynchburg, Va. and there was a Mercedes (one of the two seat types) sitting in the show room. Wish I had a photo of that time visit. A few months later the show room had a silver grey Avanti with red interior R2 automatic. It was my first Avanti viewing and the only time I have seen that color. It was absolutely beautiful! It got bought by a college student. About a year or two later I got a weekend job at a local Esso station and filled the same Avanti on a "fill her up" visit. He had several girls with him too. But all I could do was clean the windshield and fill the tank. High test was 32 cents a gallon. And I was making 16 dollars a weekend for two days of gasing and washing. But that was double the 50 cent an hour I was getting at an Amoco place. Ahh times were so good then! Then GTO's and Chevell's started showing up everywhere and everybody went APE! But I said, I'm owning an Avanti one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X