1957 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1957 Golden Hawk

What type of power steering should I purchase for a 1957 Golden Hawk which originally did not have power steering?
    Should I use something new or an original unit? Where can I find this? I spoke to someone several weeks ago who had a original unit but misplaced his number.
    Also with several small tears in the dash, should I rewrap the dash or try to repair the tears? The tears are 4 inch and 2 inch. Dash is black.
    Thanks for your help

Originally posted by Pdskinner View Post
    What type of power steering should I purchase for a 1957 Golden Hawk which originally did not have power steering?
    Should I use something new or an original unit? Where can I find this? I spoke to someone several weeks ago who had a original unit but misplaced his number.
    Also with several small tears in the dash, should I rewrap the dash or try to repair the tears? The tears are 4 inch and 2 inch. Dash is black.
    Thanks for your help
    Saginaw Integral power steering was used....excellent, reliable system.....it was even used on period Cadillacs!
    Stude used it from '54-'57 and in '58 on the Packard Hawk.
    Really not that rare, and well worth looking for!

Comment

Not what you asked, but why do you want to add power steering?
      Check on the condition of all front suspension components, properly lubricate everywhere, use the correct size tires and have enough air pressure in the tires. Turn only when the wheels are rolling, even slightly. Then decide if you really need to go through installing power steering in a car that went without it for 58 years.
      My own 1957 Golden Hawk did not have power steering.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Dash padding and Cover can only be removed and replaced correctly with the complete Dash removed from the Car, but Yes that would be the way to go, patches will be only a temporary fix until more appear with material 58 Years old. They were Flat Black to reduce Glare, also the Mouldings.

A Good or Show condition Golden Hawk deserves the best quality repairs you can afford due to it's desirability, rarity and Value.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey PD - I have some information on an aftermarket power steering setup, if you want to go that way. My Golden Hawk has power steering, so, I'm sticking with the stock setup. Best. Bj

Comment

I can supply a NEW correct power steering hose. I had the fittings done.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

I too would like to know about an 'after market power steering setup' for my '55 President Coupe.

Comment

Comment

Well it has been a long road with my 57 Golden Hawk that I was restoring. If you remember, we talked last year on power steering change up.

I drove the car about two weeks ago for the first time and several others have also tried it out. All I can say is I have had no negative comments. It really does drive nicely - not darty, no bump steer, and it turns just as sharp stop to stop on the A frames. The pump does not overpower the steering, yet it is effortless.

If you recall, I removed the old steering from steering wheel to spindles, installing a rack and pinion center link behind the cross member. The unit is fairly common - I got it from a 96 Pontiac Grand Am. I used Avanti quick steer arms from Studebaker International as I wanted new. I cut the inner tie rod end mount from the crank and had it welded and heat treated to the R&P mount, so I was able to use my existing tie rods and ends. It all fit really nicely. If someone wanted the bracket to mount the R&P, the shop that made mine has said "no problem" and they just bolt to the frame - four bolts each side.
                  While not "aftermarket" in the sense a company sells a bolt-on kit, this R&P conversion using available parts has been around Studedom since the '90s GM small car R&P was new. When done as above, it works well. Because it uses the original Stude tie rod mounting points, as long as the R&P is in the same plane as the original bell crank, the conversion does not change the steering geometry.

It is necessary to use the quick steer arms to keep the original turning circle. Standard arms won't have sufficient travel.
                  jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                  X