Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N.O.S. Shocks, what do You think of em ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.O.S. Shocks, what do You think of em ?

Is it safe to say most here would shy away from them,not just Studebaker 50s/60s but some thing from the 70s/80s ? I have some Sears shocks I was gonna advertise,and don't know if they're thought of as junk by now ?
    Last edited by 63t-cab; 12-16-2015, 03:30 PM.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

CASOs will buy anything if the price is right. Just describe them accurately with photos. Do they still have firm compression and rebound?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Unless the shafts have rust I'd think the shelf life would be decades long.

Comment

I had a pair of gas filled shocks that were about 30yrs old and they would not extend by themselves, no gas?

Comment

I have personally used NOS shocks and have been very pleased with them
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
            Is it safe to say most here would shy away from them,not just Studebaker 50s/60s but some thing from the 70s/80s ? I have some Sears shocks I was gonna advertise,and don't know if they're thought of as junk by now ?
            In my stash I have a set of NOS Gabriel heavy duty shocks (standard Avanti and Stude heavy duty option). They are still as stiff as ever. I plan to use them. I also have a set of Konis that came off a wrecked Avanti with 23,000 miles and I don't see any reason why they couldn't be used.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
              I had a pair of gas filled shocks that were about 30yrs old and they would not extend by themselves, no gas?
              The gas pressure is used to keep the shock oil from foaming during hard use. As long as the shocks have the oil and offer good resistance I'd use them.

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                In my stash I have a set of NOS Gabriel heavy duty shocks (standard Avanti and Stude heavy duty option). They are still as stiff as ever. I plan to use them. I also have a set of Konis that came off a wrecked Avanti with 23,000 miles and I don't see any reason why they couldn't be used.
                You can probably get the Konis rebuilt free by Koni....if they need it. They are very high quality units but don't last forever.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  The gas pressure is used to keep the shock oil from foaming during hard use. As long as the shocks have the oil and offer good resistance I'd use them.
                  Just because they offer good resistance, especially in a gas filled shock, does not necessarily mean they are good. They get worn where they ride on the shaft and may have poor ride quality even though passing the test of bouncing the car. I would imagine testing them off the car would be even harder to determine their actual usability. I think there are testing machines for it though.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

absolute failure can be tested by hand, on the bench..... essentially uninstalled. Other than that, you must install them and road test mixed terrain...

Comment

Shelf life for nitrile rubber is around 5 years.
                      Rubber seals will deteriorate with time.
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

well, the NOS shocks I got from S.I. for my Champ work beautifully and really improved the steering and stability. I was thinking of getting the same for my wagon.
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                        X