C Body Vent Window Division seal installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: C Body Vent Window Division seal installation

I bought the weather seal / rubber kit from SI. The kit included the seal that mounts to the stainless steel piece that attaches to the front edge of the door glass. According to the catalog this seal came with the pop rivets for mounting it to the stainless part. Well apparently I have lost those pop rivets, or maybe SI forgot to put them in the box. Either way, my question is the same. Do these seals need to be pop riveted in or can I just glue them in with trim adhesive?

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

I doubt adhesive would last very long in use.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ace Hardware is a good source of the rivets.....
      ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

SI has them as a separate item number but they price at $1 a piece!
        Brad Johnson,
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't think you want to use pop rivets. Pop rivets end up with a stud on one side that would be in the way of the glass. I just did this on my 1951 champion. Use standard rivets that you punch into place. I recently heard of putting a ball bearing on the side that gets expanded, and squeeze down with a clamp.

Seymour

Comment

The seal I got for my 1955 coupe didn't seem to fit so I called SI they told me that the were a pressure fit not needing glue, They have been in my car for 6 years no problems. When I got them they seemed too big, but they fit just fine . Good luck.

Comment

To be clear, we are referring to the fuzzy "L" seal that mounts to the stainless leading edge of the door window, correct?
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, the L shape seal on the leading edge of the stainless trim on the door glass. I found a rivet at McMaster Carr that peels apart when you install it. It appears that the center mandrel comes completely out. You end up with the head of the rivet on one side and 4 or 5 strips of the rivet body on the other side. After installation the side with the strips is supposed to be pretty flat and can certainly be hammered down to be completely flat. I have some coming so I will try them tomorrow.
                Wayne
                "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X