Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a 64-66 master cylinder interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a 64-66 master cylinder interchange?

Does anyone out there know of an interchange for the 1964-1966 sedan master cylinders? I am referring to the one with the split brake system ~ less power brakes. I have heard that there is an American Motors [Rambler] m/c that will bolt up with some minor modifications. If this is true what are the minor modificatiions and what m/c are we referring to.

I used a Wagner F56193 on my 64 Commander (without power brakes). It required no modification. It works perfectly, and it even has the old-style bolt down cover.

Tim

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tbanner

Does anyone out there know of an interchange for the 1964-1966 sedan master cylinders? I am referring to the one with the split brake system ~ less power brakes. I have heard that there is an American Motors [Rambler] m/c that will bolt up with some minor modifications. If this is true what are the minor modificatiions and what m/c are we referring to.
      http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tj1852

I used a Wagner F56193 on my 64 Commander (without power brakes). It required no modification. It works perfectly, and it even has the old-style bolt down cover.

Tim

Comment

Many thanks to those who responded I had a fellow SDC'er call wanting one and he has a daily driver. Naturally he didn't want to spend $150 for a new concours correct one - if he could get a replacement more reasonable in price - thanks again - Ted.

Comment

I also changed mine over to the Wagner F56193 and it works great .. It was an easy job and way cheaper and plentyful .
            Love my Lark

Comment

??????? You said 64-66??? Not 63??? How cheap does the master cylinder have to be?

If it is for 64-66 Lark, without power brakes, split system then you are in luck because the 1561611 is only $135 from Studebaker International, as an example.
              HOWEVER, if you are looking for the same type, without power brakes, split system, all drum no discs, for a **1963 only** Lark, then the correct #1559771 is $200 more at $335 from Studebaker International. No, although they look similar, the two MC are different and don't interchange. Pity

The Raybestos MC36237 is the AMC MC that fits up in the Studebaker with the same size fittings and works exactly the same way, except that it is turned around 180 degrees or the lines to the ports have to be switched front to back and back to front, so just some minor extra fittings required. Not a big thing. I have a picture in front of me, and went out to have a look at the 63 Wagonaire. Same side, so it must be matching to ports that is the change. Don't know anything about the Wagner F56193 but suspect it is similar in that it is the wrong way around to be a dead simple drop in replacement for a Studebaker, but not a big deal to get it to work. Canadian NAPA price was $180 for a 36237.

Comment

Use the "search" feature on this forum and you'll find several threads on this very topic. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                Auburn, GA

Comment

Originally posted by tj1852 View Post
                  I have a 1963 Lark. I wonder if the power brake booster that was used on those AMC's would also work on the car?

Joe
                  sigpic

1962 Daytona
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And a few others

Comment

With the correct push rod and a brake line fitting conversion, '64 Stude. type AMC M/C and booster should work, but when it comes to Brakes, I hesitate to recommend ANYTHING that is not factory engineered, because it honestly IS guesswork, you are at your own risk!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X