X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire owners unite!

We're on the leading edge of the collector-car market:

(Along with all other Studebaker station wagon owners, of course.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I read that too Bob , couldn't figure out how a Mercedes is # 3 ?????
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Funny how 5 Chevs are on the list and only 2 Fords, and not ONE four-door hardtop wagon.

Ford used to be the "Wagonmaster" when station wagons were real popular.

Craig

Comment

Bah, so we don't EVEN rate 11th!! And NO Studebaker mention at all. A Bias or incorrect Survey and only from ONE of the Classic Car Ins. Co's. and probably NOT the most popular?

Isn't a "150" Chevrolet Wagon NOT, but really a Yeoman?
        I guess it depends on the Year that they do not mention.
        There are 36 of those, but only 29 Chevelle and Malibu's.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-07-2015, 03:34 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Bah, so we don't EVEN rate 11th!! And NO Studebaker mention at all. A Bias or incorrect Survey and only from ONE of the Classic Car Ins. Co's. and probably NOT the most popular?
          Rich,
          It's not a survey. It's the top number of wagons by make/model they insure (grouped in a pretty weird way, however)
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

My dad had an Olds Vista Cruiser wagon. Riding in that 3rd seat facing forward & above everyone was enjoyable.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              'Doubtful that Hagerty has many Studebaker station wagons of any year insured, Rich. I know mine is, but there just aren't that many of them out there. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                'Doubtful that Hagerty has many Studebaker station wagons of any year insured, Rich. I know mine is, but there just aren't that many of them out there. BP
                Mine is with them as well , that's 2 for sure
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Funny how 5 Chevs are on the list and only 2 Fords, and not ONE four-door hardtop wagon.

Ford used to be the "Wagonmaster" when station wagons were real popular. Craig
                  You're right, Craig; Ford traditionally outsold Chevrolet in both the station wagon and convertible markets throughout the 1950s. Not every year, of course, but most.

But the reason there aren't as many Ford wagons insured is undoubtedly the same as why there aren't that many 50s Fords of any kind extant, compared to 50s Chevrolets: They just weren't as good mechanically. Specifically, the Y-block V8: So many of them met an early demise because Y-blocks were wheezing and pumping oil long before the period Chevrolet engines, both Six and V8, were worn out.

Hence, and simple enough, there are fewer survivors to acquire and insure.

Don't get me wrong; I much prefer 50s Fords over 50s Chevys, espcially 1957 models, but that doesn't alter the facts of the matter. BP

Comment

I can not understand why the Pinto did not make the list.. 78 Wagons had the V6 in them.

Comment

We owned a Pinto wagon with, as I recall, a 2 liter 4 and manual 4 speed. I enjoyed that car a lot. That was the best shifting manual trans I have owned. It needed a tune up every 10,000 or so miles but it was fun to drive.
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                        I can not understand why the Pinto did not make the list.. 78 Wagons had the V6 in them.
                        True, Seb; but again, they are just reporting how many of each model station wagon they have insured, regardless of original popularity, current popularity, or survival rate. There can't be very many Pinto wagon survivors, especially a specialty wagon like that cute Cruising Wagon you've shown. BP

Comment

We always had a second hand wagon my Mom drove us around in. All were Chevrolets. My Dad bought a new Studebaker every three years or so.
                          I combined my passion for wagons of my youth with my passion for Studebaker. I have a Wagonaire and a Packard wagon.
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

If you're still wanting to hop on the bandwagon, here you go;

Comment

I had a MB 300TE and it was an excellent car. The 4 wheel drive system was superb and with full leather and all the options it was about as comfortable as they come. I also had 2 Wagonaire project cars at the same time and I was really tempted to swap the drivetrain and running gear into my '65 but that never happened. All three wagons were nearly identical in specs.

The MB and both wagons have new owners now and I am stuck with having to put up with the quirks of owning and driving a '63 R2 Avanti. Sure miss the cargo room!

Comment

Working...
                              X