63 Avanti Registered as a 1964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti Registered as a 1964

My 1963 Avanti with round headlights, "thin" low seats and no wood grain on the dash was shipped May 27, 1963 to Alhambra California. I'm pretty sure that is Frost & French in the Los Angelas area. Bought by a doctor for his daughter (at least that appears to be true) it got registered as a 1964 because, I assume, it had set around the dealership long enough that the 64 models were out. I had the Iowa Dept of tranportation change that to 1963; my car, my choice.
    How many of the round headlight 1964 Avantis out there are registered that way do to a similar story? Over the years I have seen a lot of 1964 round headlamp Avantis offered for sale as if they were some kind of rare item. Has some one documented from the production orders all the TRUE 63/64 transition Avantis?

The dealer in Alhambra was on Foothill Blvd. Don't remember the name off hand. Frost and French was on Western Ave. at 3rd. St. in down town L.A. It depends on your serial # what your car is year wise and that is well documented.

Comment

The dealer in Alhambra was on Foothill Blvd. Don't remember the name off hand. Frost and French was on Western Ave. at 3rd. St. in down town L.A. It depends on your serial # what your car is year wise and that is well documented.

Comment

Remember fellows, If you preferred the round head lights, the ordering dealer could specify same on the '64 order form. The production order MIGHT contain a notation "Build with round head light front end"

Comment

Remember fellows, If you preferred the round head lights, the ordering dealer could specify same on the '64 order form. The production order MIGHT contain a notation "Build with round head light front end"

Comment

Based on your shipping date, your VIN is probably in the 1900 to 2000 range which means it was a true 1963 and set around a while before being sold. Chech the VIN that's the real key

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Based on your shipping date, your VIN is probably in the 1900 to 2000 range which means it was a true 1963 and set around a while before being sold. Chech the VIN that's the real key

See you in the future as I write about our past
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Let's try to get this right this time. VIN is R-4308. Body number is RQ-3376. While we are at it engine number is R-2900. Yes I know, title has two t's in it. Final Assembly date is given as 5-8-63.

Comment

Let's try to get this right this time. VIN is R-4308. Body number is RQ-3376. While we are at it engine number is R-2900. Yes I know, title has two t's in it. Final Assembly date is given as 5-8-63.

Comment

My VIN is RQ-3376. My being able to show the production order with the May 27,1963 ship date was why the Iowa Dept of Transportation was willing to issue a new tile show the car as a 1963 not 1964.

Comment

My VIN is RQ-3376. My being able to show the production order with the May 27,1963 ship date was why the Iowa Dept of Transportation was willing to issue a new tile show the car as a 1963 not 1964.

Comment

I've read that any unsold 63s were reregisted as 64s at sale.
                        There are recent (within the last few days) threads here that discuss that. If you work with your DMV, you can fix it.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I've read that any unsold 63s were reregisted as 64s at sale.
                          There are recent (within the last few days) threads here that discuss that. If you work with your DMV, you can fix it.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

For what it is worth the car was sold by Tom Sherlock Motors at 1333 W. Main Street in Alhambra on 2-14-64. The buyer was not a doctor but a Eng. Spec.

Richard Quinn
                            editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

For what it is worth the car was sold by Tom Sherlock Motors at 1333 W. Main Street in Alhambra on 2-14-64. The buyer was not a doctor but a Eng. Spec.

Richard Quinn
                              editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                              Richard Quinn
                              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                              X